Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

As of lately, I have felt that my practice routine has become dull. Usually, I start off with some long tones/scales/other warm-up activities, move on to a jazz method book which I probably need to find something new to replace and then I do some improvisation work. I typically do this in a minimum of an hour's practice. If anyone could suggest some new things for me to practice, jazz method books, etc. that would be great.

NJsoprano25

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats a pretty good routine. Try playing along with records too. Those will help you find your sound, improve your style, and will help you form new ideas for soloing. Thats what I think at least.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
How are you practising long tones? If all people do just play long tones, then this is an area which can be made into something much more fulfilling and fruitful.

As for "jazz method books", just getting one or two new books will inspire you and keep you going for quite a while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pete, what other forms of long tones would you suggest?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
There are countless things you can do with long tones. You can play them loud, soft, crescendo, decrescendo, against a drone, outdoors, in a closet. You can experiment with different embouchures, pallet, tongue and throat placement. You can replace them by playing ballads. Overtones are also a great way to get a good tone fast. Playing along a recording of someone's tone you love is another way to spice up the routine. Playing intervals is also a good thing to investigate.

So, you're saying you basically have 1H you can practice for everyday? What are your goals or ambitions? Do you play with other people? Are you a beginner, intermediate?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
The Coltrane Patterns book is pretty fun!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Longer ones? Just kidding... Check Pete's site. It's got useful tips on how to practice these. I personally don't follow his method, but I still find it interesting. What I do is play long tones to drones.
With respect to method books, there is a danger that you jump from one to another without ever settling on something. I find it more useful to spend a LOT of time with one or two good books. My recommendations: Jerry Coker's "Patterns for Jazz" and Sigurd Rascher's "158 exercises for saxophone".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep 'em coming.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Santy Runyon had someone (Paul Coats ??) play a sequence of specific long tones, i.e. not chromatically. Afterwards, he revealed that it actually was the verse to Star Dust.
So that's another interesting variation to try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Long tones are great but I would really advise to do at least 5 minutes a session on overtone and overtone matching. To work out your sound and prepare for alt. K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts