Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise me on some good options for a soprano gig bag that they have some experience with? Thank you kindly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
i would contact glen cronkite, he custom makes bags and they are fanatstic, he was one of the founder's of reunion blues i believe.

the protec soparno case, is light and cheap and fairly protective.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
i would contact glen cronkite, he custom makes bags and they are fanatstic, he was one of the founder's of reunion blues i believe.

the protec soparno case, is light and cheap and fairly protective.
Agreed!
I have one of glen's alto bags- beautifully made and surprisingly strong and robust.
He was exceptional to deal with also.

I current have a protec soprano case and I would prefer a Cronkhite- the protec requires a lot of 'additions' to get the horn to fit snuggly.

·
Registered
873 Posts
+1 for the cronkhite gig bags...the best I've used. built like the older reunion blues bags back when they were handmade in the USA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
The first move for me was to choose a less exposed horn: a curved soprano. I then found a rather rare leather Reunion Blues gig bag. This gives a very compact and cute combo.
In other words, I don't like the idea of a slim horn in a soft case.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
When someone says 'Gig Bag' all my minds eye can see are damaged horns.
Sure they're 'cute' and less 'bulky' but protect your investment in a REAL case.

·
2,960 Posts
its more about being able to carry all your horns rather than looking hip. i have to carry clarinet sop alto and bari every gig. yes i use gig bags.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I use Walt Johson cases, not to look hip but to protect my horns. Ever put a horn in an overhead bin on a plane? If you do you know why a gig bag is not an option. I fly some 80+ times a year with tenor and soprano and need a reliable protective case. None of the cases look hip to me, there just cases.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The metal rim does not scratch the horn unless you drag the horn across it, never done that in 15 years. It does make the case stronger which for me is very important. My cases are cosmetically beat up from the road, so much for having a "hip" looking case (still don't get that comment), but they are strong and protect the horn. Anyway, it's your horn put it in a paper bag if you want.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
I use hard contoured cases for my bigger horns. Didn't find one for the curvy. Any hint ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I've always found the best "gig bag" to be a light-weight but strong hard case.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have several cases and gig bags. If you are set on a gig bag go with a "Gard" gig bag, either cordura or leather. They are available through the Woodwind. I have a leather bag and I think it's better than my Reunion bag and much more inexpensive.
Very good protection for a gig bag, as I prefer bags for local travel.

·
14,268 Posts
The original post was merely to advise the OP about options for soprano gig bags, not whether they were a safe method of carrying instruments. That's why I refrained from discussing the pros and cons of such things.

As gig bags go, my Reunion Blues leather straight soprano and contoured alto gig bags work fine for me. They are well made, look nice (in black leather), fit the horns (I've carried several modern and vintage sopranos and altos in mine), and are light enough to allow me to carry the horn(s) safely and easily. DAVE

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting a soprano and alto gig bag from Glenn Cronkhite. He was great to deal with. The cases are exceptionally well made. I will keep my hardshell cases for air travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts