Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had specific suggestions or experience with metal tenor pieces that produce especially deep and tone-rich sounds without harshness or bite that is sometimes associated with metal pieces. I currently play on a Bari WTII 7* mouthpiece that projects very well and produces a sound very befitting to fusion, rock, funk, or more-contemporary jazz genres. I am able to manipulate the sound enough that the piece has served me well for the past 7 plus years of all my jazz playing. Lately, however, after transcribing some bebop era and pre-bebop era tenor solos, I have noticed a certain lack of "roundness" to my sound (for lack of a better word).

I understand that the perceived "darkness" or "brightness" of a piece has more to do with inner chamber dimensions than the material it is constructed of, so I assume that I should be looking for a larger chamber tenor piece. Again, I like the sound of my Bari, but of late, especially in some Dixieland and Swing Band gigs, the sound just doesn't seem genuine enough for the genre being played...

Of course, I plan on going to a store to try out as many pieces as I can get my hands on, but I was wondering if anyone had particular suggestions of pieces to keep my eyes open for, or certain mouthpieces I should seek out.

Thanks in advance!
Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Link style mouthpieces:
Phil Barone Jazz
Phil Barone Hollywood
Phil Barone NY
Warburton LA
Warburton Floridated Link
Morgan Fry Floridated Link
Doc Tenney BP10E Otto Link Super Tone Master
Aaron Drake Metal NY Jazz M Baffle
Sakshama Lost Wax "Florida"
SakShama Lost Wax "Custom Z"
SakShama Lost Wax "Shorty"
Ted Klum FocusTone Acoustimer Handcrafted
Theo Wanne Gaia
Theo Wanne Amma
Theo Wanne Ambika
Theo Wanne Brahma
Freddie Gregory Mark II
Freddie Gregory Mark IV
LAW LCD

and the list goes on and on.......

If you open yourself up to hard rubber there is even a list twice or three times as long

·
Registered
299 Posts
I like my tenor Vandoren Java T55. It is hard rubber, but has a nice projection and core.

Any of those metal ones JackLi listed above would be great as well.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Yanagisawa makes a silver plated metal tenor piece. I got a size 9 and it's big and round. Not alot of edge. It takes quite a bit of air and support with a Rico Royal 3 reed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Wolfe Tayne metal. I only have experience with the first model which had the tip opening stamped on the table, but the tenor and the alto piece that I own seems to fit the OP's decsription.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I play on a Guardala Crescent that tends to be dark, rich and full sounding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
The JackLi list is very accurate but I'd add these mouthpieces to the list:
- Brancher LJ
- SR Tech Titan
- Peter Ponzol SS Vintage
- Jody Jazz ESP
- Lebayle LR II

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
I understand that the perceived "darkness" or "brightness" of a piece has more to do with inner chamber dimensions than the material it is constructed of, so I assume that I should be looking for a larger chamber tenor piece.
You've almost got this right. The material has nothing to do with the perceived 'darkness' or 'brightness' of a mpc, or any other aspect of the tone. You're right about a larger chamber for a 'darker' sound, but even more important look for a low rollover baffle, not a high baffle. An Otto Link or any of its many clones will do the job. I have a Tenney Jazzmaster 7* that fits the bill perfectly for what you describe. But it's hard rubber. There are many good choices, HR or metal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got a NY STM that fits that description exactly. But you might have to look through a bunch of them; I think I got lucky with this one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Tenney Jazzmaster HR, Link STM refaced

1 - 16 of 16 Posts