Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting good results out of my Van T75 metal on my Mk 6. But the Yani 880 has a nice complex tone but a smaller core to the sound. So Im thinking maybe a Morgan?, Berg? , Datta Hard Rubber to spread the tone. Without spread I'm at the mercy of ths sound guy as far as hearing myself on stage. Any ideas? K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
runyon plastic quantum or vandy jumbo java . lakey 8*3 all kill on a yani -also try a rico metalite. my weapon of choise is still a metal sugal gs2. my lazer trim super king dg is a close second

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
DATTA : Nelson Rangell sounded amazing on his HR Datta --made me wanna try one...they are relatively affordable for the upper echelon of mouthpieces...

RPC 115 or 120B: these pieces are huge!

Lamberson 8DD

Berg HR 120/0 M

V16 T9 : A really huge sounding piece with the right reeds...going from a T8 i thought it would be a hard blow but the T9 actually was bigger and easier sounding than the T8...

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have bet against you guys but I played an RPC 115B today an now its in the case. Perfect compliment for the Yani. thanks K

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah Bill. Tom again. I need to call him the Mouthpiece whisperer. He always seems to have a next step piece for me. It was interesting also to see that we shared so much of the same taste in equipment. We both have Yani Stencil sopranos, Yamaha 62 altos. Good day. K

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I've only ever tried an RPC rollover... it was good, but not bright enough for me at the time. My tastes have changed a bit. Using a Link STM that Bootman did up for me a while back, a bit darker than I used to play, but flexible as well. good luck with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
V16 T9 : A really huge sounding piece with the right reeds...going from a T8 i thought it would be a hard blow but the T9 actually was bigger and easier sounding than the T8...
That's been my go-to 'piece for a while now - tweaked by Juan Caino to 0.122" with chamber mods. I've no experience with the stock product. I use Alexander DC 3 on mine with a Francois Louis lig.

Have you blown a Mouthpiece Cafe "Bergonzi Slant"?

·
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't played the Bergonzi Slant. Idid try an expresso years ago but it didn't work for me. Tonight I took my Mk 6 with a Van T75 metal piece( my normal rig) and also my Yani plus the RPC. I didn't play the Mk 6 all night. Had a blast and found myself going up to G4 and above on solos . Dog whistle range. K

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
my top pieces Zimmeroff house of note,Brillhart HR personoline,wanne ambika wood,slant sig

not listed in order of preference but in order of darkness not in the top list is my tonalin personoline as i like flexibility with my darkness...but you might consider that too (btw im selling a real nice one!)

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
That's been my go-to 'piece for a while now - tweaked by Juan Caino to 0.122" with chamber mods. I've no experience with the stock product. I use Alexander DC 3 on mine with a Francois Louis lig.

Have you blown a Mouthpiece Cafe "Bergonzi Slant"?

I've not tried the Bergonzi piece but I did try a House piece in a #8 that was AMAZING...i could really tell the difference in a 'stock' piece and the mouthpiece cafe HOUSE...effortless sound emission!

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
I recently finished work on an older (NOS) HR BARI mpc (with the metal banding around the shank). It's marked 115 - ended up at .112". Has the feel of a Link in the chops but has the focus and ease of a Morgan with the slender chamber design. Some roll in the baffle up towards the tip. Tremendous projection and focus without overcoloring the sound with edge. It's one of those mouthpieces that plays so easily it makes me sound better than I really am - if you know what I mean.

At this very minute, I don't have pictures on the website, but I will take some shortly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm currently playing a Morgan Excalibur 8MLL on my Zephyr. With a thinner reed it will rock your world, and a thicker reed will give you the "smooth stylings of Stan Getz." Not that I'm that good, but the flexibility is incredible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts