Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently playing a Yam 5c. It's ok, but I'd like to try something with a bit more character now. Similar to the tenor, I started off with a runyon 22, then moved to a Berg.

As I say, on tenor I play a berg, on the sop, I think I prefer a 'purer' sound, proabably will try a Dukoff but I'm not sure I play enough to carry it off.

Appologies to the Jazz Police...but I hate Coltrane's sound (also don't like it on tenor either), I recognise his genius, I just don't like that sound. :tsk:

Budget, let's say around £150, but not fixed, either way, I'm quite happy to go above or below. If it's shiny, then a larger budget is of course justified :lick:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Runyon Custom are fun to play. Not exactly pure sound, but character. And take a look at Morgan. They are always good. Howarth in London stock them. You can read about tip openings etc at www.junkdude.com
Good luck

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
the Selmer S80 is a good start, consider a vintage Selmer soloist if there are good deals on ebay.
Ted Klum is definitely worth a look - just check the reviews over here @ SOTW, especially if there are SOTW members selling them at discounts. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,476 Posts
My experiences have shown me that the Selmer Super Session series is an all-around better mouthpiece than the S-80 series. When comparing J-facings between the two designs, the SS-J was far superior. Same with the Super Session E when compared to the closer-tipped S-80's, specifically the S80-E. Much has to do with reed choices.

For flexibility and warmth in my tone, the Morgan Vintage 6 and 7 worked great for me. These selections were on vintage and modern sopranos. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.