Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I have played with my Vandoren Optimum AL3 for classical pieces for 6 years and Meyer 7 for Jazz pieces...

I'm thinking about getting high baffle mouthpieces for smooth jazz stuff...
and I tried to play Jumbo Java a45 for last couple monthes, but it just "completely" destroys my embouchure.... which is a problem because I have to go back to AL3 piece for classical pieces.

So... are there any high baffle mouthpieces that require somewhat loose embouchure like Meyer and AL3?

Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
jumbo java should be easy on your chops as its the same profile as most hr mpcs. try a 35a . feels like playing a classical mpc in size -at least to me.

·
1,243 Posts
put a small baffle in you meyer

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Maybe you play the Jumbo with more lip on the reed to tame it down, which is not so good for your classical piece. Try a piece with less baffle, say a Rousseau JDX or a Berg Larsen 80 or 85/2 or whatever else you can find, maybe a closer tip Lakey such as 5*3.

Or, a cheaper way, go back and forth between the two pieces in your practice room (have good reeds on both) and figure out what you're doing wrong on the classical piece after playing the Jumbo. I suggest warming up on the legit piece, then play the Jumbo briefly, then go back. Repeat and repeat, each time playing the Jumbo for a longer amount of time. With enough concentration and patience you ought to be able to figure it out. Once you do, it may take a certain interval or embouchure exercise to get you locked in again.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
The standard high-baffle piece for alto is the Dukoff D8. I found it to be easy to play despite the large tip opening... And the sound is GREAT for smooth jazz :)
If you've ever listened to David Sanborn, he plays a D8

·
5,092 Posts
Maybe you play the Jumbo with more lip on the reed to tame it down, which is not so good for your classical piece. Try a piece with less baffle, say a Rousseau JDX or a Berg Larsen 80 or 85/2 or whatever else you can find, maybe a closer tip Lakey such as 5*3.
Great advice! I wouldn't have thought of that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts