Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Listening to Sugawa's splendid version of his Debussy "Rapsodie" I can't seem to figure out what edition/version he's playing (or if what he's doing is okay by performance standards [ex: could I do what he does in a recital performance]!).

I myself have two versions--one is by D&F (Durand?), and the other is the Hug & Co. (sax and piano) arrangement by Iwan Roth.

Anyway, I thought that Sugawa was playing on the latter arrangement, but things get slightly different starting from the second half of the first page. I thought Sugawa was just adding things in, but the second page is a bit different as well in that the piano takes some lines away from the saxophone; the Hug version is listed for alto saxophone and piano, so my guess is that it's not a strict adaptation from an orchestral score. Strangely enough though, I believe the Hug version and his interpretation line up in terms of measures.

I would contact him directly, but I can't seem to find his contact information on his site, nor can I read the Japanese.

Any clues?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think there is at least a third edition available, published by Henry Lemoine.
The saxophone part is edited by Vincent David.
But I might be wrong.:cool:

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Eugene Rousseau did a version, as did Sigurd Rascher (although I don't believe that the Rascher version is for sale.) A lot of players have done arrangements of the piece.

·
Registered
553 Posts
kaspy said:
I think there is at least a third edition available, published by Henry Lemoine.
The saxophone part is edited by Vincent David.
But I might be wrong.:cool:

This is the version that Claude Delangle recorded on 'Saxophone for a Lady'. There are so many different arrangements of this work! Ivo Jansen (Arno's piano player) did a version on Arno's 'Scaramouche' cd. Also Wijnand van Klaveren (composer and Ties Mellema's accompanist) has a version. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies.

Because there are so many versions--here's a general question for all:

Which version are you more familiar with and have possibly performed?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
I've done the Roger-Ducasse version (in high school) and the Rousseau version (in college). The R-D version is ridiculously easy to play and it's a nice sounding piece, but not very involved for the saxophone player. The Rousseau version is much more interesting and there's a LOT more to do...

·
Registered
494 Posts
i think you have the white cover sugawa cd right? with glazunov and ibert and cyber bird in it right? man, i love that cd.. it's one of my favorite all time!! but, i do not know the version. sorry.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah that CD is SO good. sugawa is my favorite classical saxophone player hands down. no one can even come close to touching his tone on that album. it's PERFECT.
also, i think that rapsodie version is sugawa's arrangement. it seems to be quite commonplace to make your own arrangement. if you play the original, you'll understand why.
i've always been fond of the rousseau arrangement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm gonna side with my man DP, seeing as he was on the stage at the time of my avatar photo. I've heard alot of versions. Seems like the ok thing to do to make your own decisions. Might be fun to arrange your own, though the Rousseau is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I use the Rousseau version with just a few very small changes. This makes for a nice recital piece. I like the V. David version too.

Rousseau version is available from dornpub.com.

Angel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts