Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I learn sax by myself. So I have no one to ask here, what's up.
The problem is today it suddenly got too hard for me to extract sound, because I can barely blow it out. I use the same mouthpiece and reed as always (#3), nothing has happened to my sax since last week. So I'm stuck with what could be wrong...
Please, suggest.

P. S. I now think I just need to play more often, no another reason...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Try a no. 2 reed. That should make a big, big difference. If it does not, check to see if a mouse (?) crawled into the neck and got stuck...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
A quick way to diagnose the cause is to play the mouthpiece and neck (the tone producer) apart from the saxophone. If you play alto the pitch should be Ab concert, tenor E concert. If there is still difficulty producing a sound it is most likely the reed. If the tone producer works fine, it means there is something wrong with the instrument itself. First of all look inside the body of the sax to make sure nothing has become lodged inside. Next, with the neck on the saxophone and no keys pushed, check to see if the neck octave pad is staying open. This is a common cause of the effect you are experiencing. Write back if that is the case and I will tell you how to fix the problem yourself.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,316 Posts
Hi,
I learn sax by myself. So I have no one to ask here, what's up.
The problem is today it suddenly got too hard for me to extract sound, because I can barely blow it out. I use the same mouthpiece and reed as always (#3), nothing has happened to my sax since last week. So I'm stuck with what could be wrong...
Please, suggest.

P. S. I now think I just need to play more often, no another reason...
Reeds probably warped.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Look inside the instrument....anything in the body or bell? It happens...
Ha. One day back in high school I couldn't find my neck strap. It was one of those jobs that had the really heavy padding on it, so it wasn't exactly SMALL, yet I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. I ended up getting a new one. The next day in band class I went to play and I just couldn't get the horn to sound at all. I checked my reed, and then I looked into the bell...

...and remembered that I was in a hurry to pack up after the last practice and stuffed by old neckstrap down the bell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
soak your reeds for a bit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Look inside the instrument....anything in the body or bell? It happens...
Literally happened to me the other day with my soprano. Went to blow and ... nothing. Tried to blow again... nothing. What's happened, I'm thinking? Is my horn broken? Then it dawned on me. I reached in the bell and pulled out the pad saver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts