Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to subtone, the notes sound a few cents flat. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
It's quite normal at first and one of the trickiest aspects of subtone. Once you've got to stage one of being able to do it, then work at it to get the subtone less flat.

A good exercise is to play long notes going from subtone to fulltone (is that the right word for non-subtone?) and back keeping your ear on the pitch.

Also I am in the habit of now tuning slightly sharp. This means I get in the habit of a more relaxed full tone and easier to match the tuning with subtone. Also playing a bit sharp is not such a bad thing as playing flat (Didn't do Charlie Parker any harm).

Tuning a bit sharp also helps with vibrato as there is a tendency for vib to soud flat because the pitch is usually lowered as you vib.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete,

You're a diamond. This is really helpful. I've always felt I wanted to tune a bit sharp and you've just given me 'permission'.

·
Registered
815 Posts
will there be pitch problems when the sax gets 'hotter' after a while of playing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
baritone said:
will there be pitch problems when the sax gets 'hotter' after a while of playing?

Yes. My jazz band had some....interesting experiences with this.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Pete Thomas said:
Also playing a bit sharp is not such a bad thing as playing flat QUOTE]
As violin players say: better sharp than out of tune ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts