Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to play just the mouthpiece with the reed I can't get a sound and their is a lot of resistance , however when I put it on the sax everything is good . Am I doing something wrong by the way it happens no matter if I play alto tenor or soprano sax

·
Registered
606 Posts
I do get a sound with just the mouthpiece. It is higher pitched than the mouthpiece with neck. I do feel more resistance with just the 'piece, but I assumed it was because it was harder to line up with my embouchure than with the neck or the entire horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
When I try to play just the mouthpiece with the reed I can't get a sound and their is a lot of resistance , however when I put it on the sax everything is good . Am I doing something wrong...
Yes. See the threads regarding "mouthpiece exercises" and "mouthpiece pitch". Getting a pitch on the mouthpiece alone is often a good way to characterize whether you have the correct tension in your embouchure.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
dogster - a good way to transition from playing only your horn or only your mpc, is to play the mpc on the neck. It's easier and will give you a good intermediary step before just playing the mpc alone. Be aware that, with the neck, the pitch will be lower. Another benefit is that with the mpc alone, as you've discovered, there can be a tendency to pinch the embouchure or use more muscle tighness than is necessary to play the sax, and with the neck the embouchure should be a little more relaxed and yet firm enough.

If I were you, I'd play with the mpc on the neck until you have researched, read and understood the material on the mpc exercise.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dogster - a good way to transition from playing only your horn or only your mpc, is to play the mpc on the neck. It's easier and will give you a good intermediary step before just playing the mpc alone. Be aware that, with the neck, the pitch will be lower. Another benefit is that with the mpc alone, as you've discovered, there can be a tendency to pinch the embouchure or use more muscle tighness than is necessary to play the sax, and with the neck the embouchure should be a little more relaxed and yet firm enough.

If I were you, I'd play with the mpc on the neck until you have researched, read and understood the material on the mpc exercise.

Ok thank you its easy with it on the neck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts