Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been playing Alto & Tenor for 30+ years now (mainly jazz); thinking about a soprano, but heard the fingering system is totally different to the Alto & tenor. Is this right or just a silly rumor ?

Thanx

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Absolutely untrue. It's the same.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
clarinet that's the humdinger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Same fingerings (pitched one octave higher than the Bb Tenor Sax), completely different embuchure! Fun to play though!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,212 Posts
What was the eye color of the person who told you that?
Dark brown or very light blue? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,133 Posts
Maybe they were referring to the Selmer Mk VI sopranos which have different palm keys. However, the fingerings are the same, they just feel different.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Administrator note.

The only thing stupid about your inquiry is that you posted it in the wrong sub forum! Moved to "Bb Soprano".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
soprano brings out the more "feminine" side in me. enjoy the journey!!
dun forget to set aside some budget for a good mpc. I have stuck to SELMER Classical metal D for over 10 years on my SELMER series II soprano. (this is together with a Rovner Mk III + VANDOREN blue box #3 reed). :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
why can't I play over a C# comfortably???

i feel great on soprano....get around the horn fine....LOVE my wanne gaia....really have to bend up to a D...possibly can keep pushing it to an Eb...then nada...zippo...nothing

i m happy with my high range on tenor...so im really wondering why this is so hard for me???

·
6,831 Posts
why can't I play over a C# comfortably???

i feel great on soprano....get around the horn fine....LOVE my wanne gaia....really have to bend up to a D...possibly can keep pushing it to an Eb...then nada...zippo...nothing

i m happy with my high range on tenor...so im really wondering why this is so hard for me???
Could be many things, but the high end on soprano, requires the same "voicing" as the altissimo range on Alto and Tenor. I can go to alltissimo G on my soprano no problem.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Midlandcomputersweep, let us know how your soprano experience goes. Most folks say the sop is by far the hardest to play, especially in tune. I had a different experience. My soprano came natural to me, blowing free and easy. I play a Yamaha 6C mouthpiece with Rico Royal #2 reeds. I have the toughest time playing the low end on the tenor. Individual differences...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Midlandcomputersweep, let us know how your soprano experience goes. Most folks say the sop is by far the hardest to play, especially in tune. I had a different experience. My soprano came natural to me, blowing free and easy. I play a Yamaha 6C mouthpiece with Rico Royal #2 reeds. I have the toughest time playing the low end on the tenor. Individual differences...
OK; just acquired a MINT condition, "used" Antigua Winds Soprano. LOVE it, and the Yanigasaw type bore gives this horn an amazing sound! One strange thing tho; it mcame with a stock, what I call "short stubby" plastic mouthpiece and brass ligature. Now the lig may work with a slim metal mouthpiece but not with my preferred Graftonite mouthpiece (same as I use on my Tenor and Alto), so guess I'm gonna have to just buy a stock Rico ligature, lol. But truly, this horn is amazing and unlike what I've heard, is SO delightful and comfortable to play. Oh and please, those purists out there, no knocks on the Rico graftonite as my mouthpiece of choice please. It's good enough for a LOT of professional sax players, and proof you don't have to pay $000's to get a quality tone.

·
6,831 Posts
Hey if you can get a good tone from a Graphtonite, more power to you! I've always sounded like doggy doo on them (on any sax, w/any tip!). We all like different things :) .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts