Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just purchased a clarinet this weekend in a yard sale. It seems to have all of its parts except for the ligurature. However, for some reason the mouthpiece does not fit snugly into the barrel part....it fits in there, but its a very loose fit, not snug like one would expect. Is this normal? If not, is there an easy solution to make the mouthpiece to fit in the barrel more snugly?
Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just take the clarinet to a repair shop and have the mouthpiece recorked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
If you want to just see how the mp sounds without spending the money on recorking, you can always apply a couple of wraps of teflon plumber's tape to the mp cork to increase the thickness. You could do the same thing with paper, but I prefer the teflon tape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plumber's tape sounds like a good idea, thanks. I will look into having the mouthpiece recorked eventually, I'm just looking for a cheap fix for now....I'm not even sure how much I'll be playing the clarinet. The price was right and it looked like it was in good shape, so I figured what the heck. Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Just curious..... What clarinet brand/model and mouthpiece did you get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a Vito Reso-Tone, and the mouthpiece is a Vito (I think) V2. Got it for $5! Luckiest find I've ever had at a yard sale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Or you can get cork and contact cement from MusicMedic and never have to bother your tech for this sort of thing again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts