Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i could really use some help here. two particular notes on my Eb clarinet, the high C# and D are very stuffy and resistant. The highest range of the instrument, from the Eb to the F# is fine, so i doubt it's a leak or technical problem. I really need these two notes to be more responsive, and to actually respond. I have tried several alternate fingerings for the notes, )which usually either respond worse, or are really flat), and i dont feel like spending $200 on a fancy-shmancy backun barrel, which might not help at all. any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having similar issues. If I have to hold a top C# it sounds as if something is flickering across the barrel or tone hole and the tone wavers.

I have just replaced the mouthpiece and it is still as bad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update: this problem is long gone; its been almost a year and now these notes come out with almost no problem at all. it's not a mechanical problem at all; i had just started Eb at the time this was posted, and was still getting used to the altissimo register. your problem does sound mechanical though. it sounds like something may be wrong with the register tube. take it to a repair man, see what he can do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the mean time, try using alternate fingerings for the notes. for the C#, try using just the left index finger (no register key). if you're new to Eb, this might be troublesome, and you might get the note out as a F# instead of an C#. also try the same first index finger with the register key. This fingering is a bit sharper for me, but particularly with Eb, every instrument is going to have its own fingerings. For the D, try all open (like an open G, but throat it as a D), or register key + thumb hole + first middle and ring finger + right index finger. according to Jessica Phillips (Eb clarinet w/ the Metropolitan opera), "Alternate fingerings are the key to Eb clarinet". if you really wanna get into the Eb clarinet, i recommend Peter Hadcock's book, Orchestral Studies for the Eb Clarinet. It's filled with all the important orchestral excerpts for Eb, plus a full chart of alternate fingerings. very helpful for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts