Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'd like to ask if you had the same problem as me:

I came back to classical studies after a while and noticed that on my AL3 mouthpiece in piano dynamics C#2 played with octave key and G (essential for having smooth legato between 1st and 2nd octave) is veeery stuffy - I'd even say useless and unplayable (compared to c, b or d2 it's much more quiet).

Another thing i noticed is also stuffy G#2.
Can it be caused by setting the key pads opening too less? With a proper tuning my low Bb is way to sharp - about 23 cents, but none of my friends has vi alto with short bow to check it out.

I'd be grateful for any advice, because it makes me pretty irritated for last few weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

The story is:
I'm from Cracow (Poland) and bought the hirn about 1.5 years ago. At the beginning the horn keys were setup way too low, so i went to the service and told the guy to fix it the way it should be. I've noticed that it still wasnt open so much, but i thought "that's the way it should be"' but after a while I started to struggle a little with intonation and this malfunctioning fingering. There is also a problem with high e played with the front keys, which is 20 cents sharp, the f is ok and the f# with Ta key is kind of low 馃槙 but i dont know if it affects this c#. I'd try to adjust it, but i'm not sure if i can handle it by my own.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saxoclese, thanks for participating!

I don't have any tool, but tommorow i'll get one and check it.

Turf3, I'm talking about middle C# (C#2) on the 3rd intervening space. It's helpful when you want to achieve smooth legato between e.g. d2 and c#2. Used mostly in classical music. So far it worked on any sax i've tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts