Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, looking to upgrade my current microphone, which is a Samson C01 http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/condenser-microphones/c01/

My interface is an Mbox Mini into Pro Tools LE, very simple.

I'd like to keep this at $300 or below if possible. If you've recorded things with what you're going to recommend, I'd love to hear sound clips too.

Edit- I'm looking for a very open, natural sound, without too much color added by the mic. I feel like when I listen back to my recordings right now that I'm not hearing an accurate representation of what I sound like. Hard to explain, but it's a little "muffled" and compact sounding.

Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi All, looking to upgrade my current microphone, which is a Samson C01 http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/condenser-microphones/c01/

I'd like to keep this at $300 or below if possible. If you've recorded things with what you're going to recommend, I'd love to hear sound clips too.

Edit- I'm looking for a very open, natural sound, without too much color added by the mic. I feel like when I listen back to my recordings right now that I'm not hearing an accurate representation of what I sound like. Hard to explain, but it's a little "muffled" and compact sounding.

Thanks!
In the lower price range the Audio Technica AT2020 is one of my favorites. It has a lot of signal too it as well which is great if your not using it in an optimum recording environment.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Two things to think about - distance from mic and gain staging.

Distance from mic - if it's a Large Diaphragm Condenser (the Samson is), stay about 2-3 feet away from it, and point the capsule at the G# key.

Gain staging - Make sure the signal is strong (not too hot, not too cold, but good and solid) at every point - in the preamp and at the DAW.

These two things will do a lot for the quality of your recordings. If you feel that the room you record in is not very good, sonically, then put some sound absorbing material behind the mic. They sell shields that fit on the mic stand, but they are kind of expensive. A pillow and or thick blanket behind the mic will do the trick, just hang it on a music stand. This will keep reflections from bouncing around so much and coming back in the mic.

If you feel you MUST buy a new mic :), then the AKG C214 is very very good - it's like the C414 in cardioid mode (which is what you would use for saxophone anyway). You can find it for about $350 or so, maybe a little over your budget, but a superior mic. If you buy a used one, you can get it for under $300.

Honestly, I think you would do better upgrading your interface. Those MAudio interfaces just don't sound good to me. Get a Focusrite or Presonus, or if you have the money available get a UA or RME interface.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
564 Posts

Thanks!
I like ribbon mics for studio recording. The following samples were made with an MXL R144, which is a very inexpensive model. I used a Cloudlifter to boost the gain, depending on your interface pre-amp you may or may not need the extra "kick". The interface used is a Behringer UMC202HD. The mic was about 4 ft away from the source, slightly above the player and angled down toward the bell. The files have not had any processing.
https://soundcloud.com/david-rierson

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two things to think about - distance from mic and gain staging.

Distance from mic - if it's a Large Diaphragm Condenser (the Samson is), stay about 2-3 feet away from it, and point the capsule at the G# key.

Gain staging - Make sure the signal is strong (not too hot, not too cold, but good and solid) at every point - in the preamp and at the DAW.

These two things will do a lot for the quality of your recordings. If you feel that the room you record in is not very good, sonically, then put some sound absorbing material behind the mic. They sell shields that fit on the mic stand, but they are kind of expensive. A pillow and or thick blanket behind the mic will do the trick, just hang it on a music stand. This will keep reflections from bouncing around so much and coming back in the mic.

If you feel you MUST buy a new mic :), then the AKG C214 is very very good - it's like the C414 in cardioid mode (which is what you would use for saxophone anyway). You can find it for about $350 or so, maybe a little over your budget, but a superior mic. If you buy a used one, you can get it for under $300.

Honestly, I think you would do better upgrading your interface. Those MAudio interfaces just don't sound good to me. Get a Focusrite or Presonus, or if you have the money available get a UA or RME interface.

Hope this helps...
Thank you, I’ll pick up one of those mic shields from amazon for $50 and see what that does.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts