Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got referred for a job yesterday to record on a country swing chart for a television pilot that Bob James will be producing the music for.

These studio jobs are far and few between in Oklahoma City but I was chosen because they saw me performing as my One Man Saxophone Act in a restaurant last month and liked what I was playing on the chart, I'll Drown In My Own Tears.

Cool huh!

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
YAY!!! That's awesome!! Go for it!!!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Way cool!! Bob James, eh. Describe, please, your "One Man Saxophone" act. Thanks and Good Blowing!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob James and Tom Scott are my favorite composer players.

I will post the results of the finished product.

B

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I play Both kinds of music.... Country AND western!!!! nice going Modman

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats, man, sounds like a killin gig!
Thanks Dan. The session went well and I got to record sop, alto and tenor as if a sax section, and then soprano as a lead.

I am not getting too excited since it is a TV pilot and very few ever see the light of day and actually get picked up.

The engineer also told that there was a commercial offer for the tune as well.

I am more hopeful about the latter.

What this situation did though was opened my eyes and ears to the possibility of pitching music for commercials.

As I see more and more music venues either closing or using canned music it might be time to make the leap.

B

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, B, congrats on this gig. Nice! And, good luck with the commercials - I think some of your music would work really well for that.
Ralph
Thank you R.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Thanks Dan. The session went well and I got to record sop, alto and tenor as if a sax section, and then soprano as a lead.

I am not getting too excited since it is a TV pilot and very few ever see the light of day and actually get picked up.

The engineer also told that there was a commercial offer for the tune as well.

I am more hopeful about the latter.

What this situation did though was opened my eyes and ears to the possibility of pitching music for commercials.

As I see more and more music venues either closing or using canned music it might be time to make the leap.

B
Good stuff. You are also right. There is much more opportunity ($) with commercial work. Very few make it as artists yet many artists make a living composing industrial music. Much bigger and faster market. Pays better than band work too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Good news is always good to read! :)

Hope the TV show gets picked up too. Would be nice to have something other than "reality" and/or competition programming on the idiot box for a change. :p

Commercial stuff... give 'em exactly what they ask for. Improv & further expression can be done in your free time. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts