Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5th grade daughter began playing flute, and has been playing on a student rental Armstrong for the past year. She is really taking to it, and for the price to purchase the recycled Armstrong, I know I can buy something better for less.
What are your opinions of the best value comparing these two flutes at these prices new. From everything I've read, this Yamaha is sort of the imperial standard of student flutes.. however, I know Gemeinhardt has an excellent rep in higher end flutes.. but I haven't found much about their student flute compared to the Yamaha. I'm not trying to be cheap, but assuming that she sticks with it, I may invest in a step up flute in a few years.. is the extra $$ worth it on the Yamaha at this point.. and why?
Thanks...

Gemeinhardt 2sp $289 http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-GEMEI...055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0b80a5b7
Yamaha 221 @ $479 http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Yamaha-YFL-...075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf8bd2203

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
The 221 will have a MUCH better headjoint and resale will be good. (I can't comment on the Gemeinhardt resale.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,116 Posts
Actually the Gemeinhardt student flutes are a better value than the upper line models. Since she is still at a beginner level, the important part is how well the flute works more than the brand (within reason). The Yamaha should be a good choice or a gemeinhardt 2SP, Emerson EF1, Deford model 1, Armstrong 104, etc.
Have a seasoned flute player try it before you buy. Figure $100-150 for a repad if needed.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have a Gemeinhardt and wish I have the Yamaha. Each Yamaha student flute has completely outplayed mine. Maybe you could find a used one to save some cash if you need.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,357 Posts
I would go with the Yamaha. I have noticed a number of fake Yamahas on eBay, but this looks OK. I note that it is silver played, which is great: it can tarnish, but nickel plating is very slippery. Silver is much better.

·
21,116 Posts
That price seems high to me. Did you check the other online companies? Generally you can buy a new flute for about half of the retail price. The last Yamaha used flute I sold went for about $150 with new pads.

·
21,116 Posts
I don't know about the Yamaha but almost every brand is heavily discounted. Have you tried WWBW and the similar outlets?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,357 Posts
How can one tell it's legitimate, though?
The ones that I would worry about are those from the merchants from China selling "Made in Japan" Yamahas. This one apparently comes with a warranty, and so I wouldn't think it is in the same category.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
The ones that I would worry about are those from the merchants from China selling "Made in Japan" Yamahas. This one apparently comes with a warranty, and so I wouldn't think it is in the same category.
FWIW, every single "Yamaha" flute I have seen from a China-based eBay seller has been an obvious counterfeit.

·
21,116 Posts
Whatever you get, the padding and adjustment are very important. A Gemeinhardt in good adjustment is far better than a leaking Powell (well, not price wise!).
The more I think about your situation, the more I tend to say get a good working used closed hole student flute. I don't even sell them new as there are so many trade-ins. When someone comes to me for a beginner flute, I sell them whatever I have ready for $150-200 and if they "move up" in the next 2-3 years, I give them full value on a new flute. I find that alomst every student wants to go to an open hole, low B flute with a solid sterling silver head. These are what the teachers want so I go with them. The price you got on the Gemeinhardt is almost $200 less than the Yamaha and you will be getting another flute in a few years so save for that one. I worked for Gemeinhardt for 11 years and they are sturdy flutes good for students but not for advanced (3SH, 3S, etc.). Just make sure you are getting a real 2SP and not one of the imports they sell from China. I tend to sell mostly used Emersons, Gemeinhardts and some Yamahas although the Yamahas aren't too big in this area so they aren't traded often. Don't overlook the Emersons (not the Asian ones) as they are sturdy and have a good sound and scale.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
IMO Yamaha is streets ahead of Gemeinhardt to play. (I don't sell flutes, but I am flute player and repair technician who has play-tested zillions of student flutes.)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The going price for a new Yamaha is quite a bit more $843 at WWBW..$389 for the Gemeinhardt.. these were the best prices I found on a new ones. Of course now I'm concerned about their "legitimacy".. I'm not opposed to a used one, but they seemed to be in the price range of these new ones."
So Bruce did I read your comment to basically say "save the money and get the Gemeinhardt, because I'm gonna be trading up in 3 years anyway to a B foot open hole"??

thanks everyone for your thoughts.. appreciate it.

·
21,116 Posts
I meant to get a lower priced student flute and hold off for a few years for a Yamaha open hole or similar. The prices WWBW put up for the Yamahas are usually list prices as Yamaha likes to control prices on the internet. Call them and see what they really will sell you one for. My guess is that their cost is not a lot more for the Yamaha than the Gemeinhardt. If the Yamaha is actually $200 more than the Gemeinhardt, I would go with the Gemeinhardt as they both will lose value within the next 2 years.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know what Bruce Bailey's opinion is, but I sure would go with the Yamaha...the Gemeinhardt open hole, B foot is not any better than the Gemmy student flute. You don't see many flute pros with a spare Gemmy flute to play on the beach, but quite a lot of them have a Yamaha 200 student flute to play where they don't want to risk their fancy/expensive flute. This is because the Yam is really, really well designed...and considered by many good flute teachers to be a step-up from the Gemmy open-hole, silver-head, B-foot flute.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts