Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

can someone here recommend strengthening and/or stretching exercises for neck, lower arms and hands/fingers. I practice a lot these days and feel like I should do some exercises to protect my body (pain in the mentioned areas is not uncommon for me after a long day and while it subsided quickly and i‘m usually good to go the next day, I feel like I should try to protect the needed bodyparts).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,998 Posts
Hey,

can someone here recommend strengthening and/or stretching exercises for neck, lower arms and hands/fingers. I practice a lot these days and feel like I should do some exercises to protect my body (pain in the mentioned areas is not uncommon for me after a long day and while it subsided quickly and i‘m usually good to go the next day, I feel like I should try to protect the needed bodyparts).
Walking is free and excellent. It works lots of instrinsic muscles that you won't otherwise use. Swimming is cheap and provided you don't drown it's hard to hurt yourself.
I'm a yoga guy personally- I got into it years back when I had shocking spinal problems- 2 bulging discs in my neck, hyper-kyphosis (curvature) in my thoracic spine, ribs that didn't move, constant thoracic pain, a bulging disc in my lumbar spine and a previously herniated disc, anterior pelvic tilt, hypo-lordosis (flat lower back), hyper-active hip flexors....you name it.....
I found a private teacher to work with rather than going to a class and it's been worth every penny and is life-changing.
Careful with yoga classes, a teacher can't monitor every student and you can easily hurt yourself. If you're new to it find a beginners class and stick to it for a while until you develop strength, technique and knowledge.

·
2,998 Posts
Get into a yoga club if you can.
They believe that balance and flexibility lead to strength.
Do not do anything that hurts.
Keep the flow to the extremities open.

https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/types/arm-balances
Of the poses listed on that page many are advanced and should NOT be attempted by beginners. They require strength, control and mobility in areas of the body other than the arms that most people don't have. Any of them done with poor technique and alignment can lead to injury, even the humble plank.
You really can't learn yoga from the internet........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Of the poses listed on that page many are advanced and should NOT be attempted by beginners. They require strength, control and mobility in areas of the body other than the arms that most people don't have. Any of them done with poor technique and alignment can lead to injury, even the humble plank.
You really can't learn yoga from the internet........
Yes, indeed!
Hence the number one suggestion to get into a yoga club.
Finding a mentor or tutor is very important.
One of the advantages to that first page should be to show that the postures can be very difficult.
To make sure, I specifically pointed out that a main basis for yoga is not to do anything that hurts.
That "no pain, no gain" theory is the bunk.
There are yoga classes and club meetings listed all over the place these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It1AEUB9xnU

Got to start somewhere.

·
7,903 Posts
I run regularly (5 times a week) totaling 40 Km.
This has markedly improved my air support, especially on Baritone.
Keeps me looking trim and healthy like a 20 year old too.:bluewink:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The main thing to remember about yoga is that it';s not a competition. Don';t try something that causes you pain just because the fifty year old lady next to you is doing it. She may have practicing 10 years to get there.

I';ve been at it 3 years now and it';s helped with my flexibility and muscle tone. I';m riddled with inflammation and arthritis and yoga is the best thing I';ve found. It';s gentle on the body and does wonders for how you feel. I';ve even been able to swim some after a 10 year layoff due to back pain. Yoga has strengthened my core enough to support my spine while I swim.

Sorry about the punctuation . The site doesn’t like my iPhone XR.

·
5,431 Posts
I run regularly (5 times a week) totaling 40 Km.
This has markedly improved my air support, especially on Baritone.
Keeps me looking trim and healthy like a 20 year old too.:bluewink:

Running --- no longer for me. Wrenched a knee back in 1978, and eventually that old injury caught up with me. I should have walked for my exercise, but I felt as though I was short of time, and wanted quicker results by running. In addition, they paved the road I in front of my house, and I did not realize what a difference the surface would make on the joints. I need that time machine to avoid mistakes like these. It does pay to think ahead and be careful if one ends up living for a long time. My own mistakes were failures to consider the running surface and make allowances for those weaknesses which the stress of running highlighted. But I sure used to love it. I always got out really early before there was any traffic. Great for meditation and mental health, too. I never could get walking to get me to that level.

·
7,903 Posts
I’m up and at it early in the morning too.
Up at 5am and out running by 5.30 am.
It’s still dark when I get back.
A quick shower and a coffee and it’s off to work.
I’ve found that now that I run more regularly, I don’t have the injuries I used to.
Such as knee and back problems.
When I was only running twice a week, I always seemed to be getting injured.
I don’t break any land speed records, but am always seeing improvements in times.
It’s gotten that I actually get pretty anxious if I have to miss a run for any reason.
The health benefits are also really quite noticeable.
My air support seems to have improved and it’s really kept my weight in check.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like to to do stretches in the Hot Shower under a Shower Massage. I point the shower massage at the areas that tend to need the the "Hot Water Massage" and stretch. For endurance exercise I ride my bike.

·
5,431 Posts
I like to to do stretches in the Hot Shower under a Shower Massage. I point the shower massage at the areas that tend to need the the "Hot Water Massage" and stretch. ...

"Why do I keep hearing Barry White playing when the shower is running?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts