Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned in another thread that I've joined an adult marching band that has improv solo opportunities but largely plays from marching band music. Our director has asked us to play a couple of pieces, including When the Saints Come Marching In, more street-band style--meaning adding embellishments here and there. I've been studying jazz improv on my own, but I'm in no way ready for prime time. I also have mainly played classical music up to this point, so I'm working on developing a jazz tone and learning jazz techniques. I'm hoping you guys might have some suggestions of embellishments I could add that wouldn't be obnoxious. Should I focus on tone, such as adding a growl here and there or some scoops and bends? Would you play around with the rhythm or the harmonics? At what point would I become obnoxious? Everyone is super-polite and cool in this band, so they may not tell me if I'm stinking up the joint (I play alto in the band fyi).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,942 Posts
Listen to Dixieland music. There's a way of playing together but different without stepping on each other.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts