Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this mouthpiece for ever. The only markings on it is the word streamline at the cork end. It's like a Master Link 4star. Made of bronze, with a low baffle and huge chamber. Strange thing a Lawton ligature fits the parallel grooves perfectly. Any ideas. Racer.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have had this mouthpiece for ever. The only markings on it is the word streamline at the cork end. It's like a Master Link 4star. Made of bronze, with a low baffle and huge chamber. Strange thing a Lawton ligature fits the parallel grooves perfectly. Any ideas. Racer.
Sounds like a master Link 4* that never got stamped. I made a bunch of pieces with no markings on them like when my engraving machine is down like it is now. Phil Barone

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Phil. Thanks for the reply. I play it with a Riggoti 3s. Another odd thing is that it has copper rings in two places. I think they may be filled in blow holes when cast. Also I play your Hollywood 7star. Could it be made a 6Star. Racer.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Hi Phil. Thanks for the reply. I play it with a Riggoti 3s. Another odd thing is that it has copper rings in two places. I think they may be filled in blow holes when cast. Also I play your Hollywood 7star. Could it be made a 6Star. Racer.
Racer, I'm not sure which mouthpiece you're referring to, the Hollywood or the other piece? The Hollywood can be closed if that's what you're looking for but I wouldn't do it. They start to thin out in the upper register when less than a 7. I'm not sure why you'd want it more closed though, a 7* is the best facing for that chamber. If you're having trouble try taking more mouthpiece in your mouth, it will sound terrible at first but it comes around in about half an hour and you'll get more sound. Phil Barone

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After an afternoon searching the web, it seems its a very early Brilhart. I found a similar Alto piece that sold for 180GBP. Any other thoughts out there.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
An early metal Brilhart? Wow! Brilhart started with the Streamlines before WO II alright. Never seen or heard of a metal Streamline version though.
It must be pretty rare. Maybe a prototype. There hase been a metal Velvet Brass model at some point. However they were never made in large numbers.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
An early metal Brilhart? Wow! Brilhart started with the Streamlines before WO II alright. Never seen or heard of a metal Streamline version though.
It must be pretty rare. Maybe a prototype. There hase been a metal Velvet Brass model at some point. However they were never made in large numbers.
I have a very, VERY rare Brilhart metal piece somewhere that's an exact replica of the plastic ones. It doesn't play very well though. Phil Barone

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have a very, VERY rare Brilhart metal piece somewhere that's an exact replica of the plastic ones. It doesn't play very well though. Phil Barone
That sure is new to me. It proofs Arnold Brilhart was also experimenting with metal back then next to his hard rubber and later plastic designs. Is it brass or some other alloy?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mp that I have, appears to be bronze. I is very similar to a Master Link it just has Streamline around the end that fits the cork on the neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Didn’t Pharoah Sanders have a metal version of a Brilhart Hard Rubber piece?
At least that’s what I read somewhere.(probably on here).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This post has found a deal of interest. If I could post pics I would. But I can and will Email them to you who are interested. Personally I think the piece is very old and an unplayable piece of junk. But what do I know. Would not Streamline name have been patented at the time. I don't know of any other than Brilhart. Racer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
This post has found a deal of interest. If I could post pics I would. But I can and will Email them to you who are interested. Personally I think the piece is very old and an unplayable piece of junk. But what do I know. Would not Streamline name have been patented at the time. I don't know of any other than Brilhart. Racer.
After you PM'd me yesterday I responded w/ my email address, but haven't received any pics yet .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts