Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Educate me about Strathon. experience? Criticism? Who plays them professionally? Tone quality? Intonation? Where can i get one? Cost? Webpage? Metal/Rubber? Good set-up? recommendation?

I know thats a lot of stuff for me to ask but i know absolutley nothing about them so any information is good and appreciated.

Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,895 Posts
Well, I'm not an expert, but here's what I know. Strathons are rubber mouthpieces with a moveable baffle. The baffle slides inside the mouthpiece by means of a button that protrudes thru the mouthpiece from the chamber to the top of the piece. By sliding the baffle towards the front, you have a brighter sounding piece, like a Dukoff, sliding the baffle away from the tip gives you something more like a Link sound. You can see the button in most pix of the mouthpiece. Because the mechanism requires a channel for the sliding mechanism, they are said to be very leaky (air)

Richard Elliot played one in the 80s, don't know if he still uses it. I think Tom Scott used one ages ago on tenor, doubt if he's using it now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Frank D is right. They do leak. I put up with this for a long time, because I liked the overall sound I got with it. However, I couldn't play subtone at all on the low end, and at times the low end wouldn't play unless at LOT of air was put into the horn at a HIGH velocity. In other words, the only way the low notes come out is if you're playing loud. Maybe I just needed a different reed, but since I've switched to a different mouthpiece, I don't have any more low end problems at all. I liked the Strathon, but I think there are better pieces.

Oh. Mine was also quite sharp (intonation). Had to be pulled way out, and needed a lot more neck cork (Thicker) than any piece I've ever seen.

It would be a good piece for a rock/fusion band, but that's about it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I played one on tenor for a year. Had a lot of fun fiddling with the baffle position between rock tunes and ballads. Mine did not leak at all.

I had a .140" bari one for a short while. Too big for me. It did not leak either.

These MPs are a great way for you to learn how much baffle you like in a mouthpiece. Then you can shop for regular mouthpieces that match your goals.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Here you have a link:
http://www.hans-zinner.de/Produkte/.../Strathon_Ajustotone/strathon_ajustotone.html

I have also tried this piece years and years ago, late 60's. It was kind of fashionable then.
I played a friend's horn in a jamsession. The piece worked really well. Low tones no problem. The tone was nice, a little bit like Meyer. Clean and neat.
But later this guy had problems with it.

The idea of adjustable baffle came again with the Ponzol M2000 mpc. It had a movable baffle that was fixed in place with a locking screw. I test played one. The sound was between Model II-V-I (the baffle removed) and M2 (the baffle in far front position).
I don't think the idea really was a success.

rini

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Ornette Coleman used one for at least several years going back to the 70's and 80's. Tom Scott also used one extensively on tenor back in the late 70's period.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Strathon leak problem

All Strathon mouthpieces leak because of the adjustable baffle. Here is the fix...find the baffle position you like best and then get some epoxy glue and completely fill in the top of the mouthpiece where the slider hole is. That will stop it from leaking.

A friend told me that Tom Scott had this done years ago on a Strathon. Of course the bad news is you can no longer adjust the baffle. You can't have it both ways. It is a good mouthpiece once you stop it from leaking.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
When I started playing sax back in the 70´s I played a strathon 8*. It was pretty hard to begin but it never leaked. It was fun to try different baffle positions and I ended up playing a guardala brecker since more than 20 years.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I played on one for a year. It did not leak, or if it did it was not significant. I have worked on several others that did not leak. Many report leaks so leaks do happen. But to say all Strathons leak is not true.

Sorry to be redundant. I did not look that this was the same thread I posted in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
What about putting a thick lubricant in the moving parts to get a better seal like the rings on a piston?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve had my alto Strathon 5 for about 10 years and it’s the only alto piece that I’ve used since purchasing it. That should give an idea how happy I am with it. If it leaks, I sure can’t tell. Sub-tones on my Yani 901 are lush and very easy to play. It blows freely with a big sound and in tune.

The only playing that I do now is with a large church orchestra with about 35 members. If I’m required to double a French horn part, I can slide the baffle up and produce a mellow “edgeless” sound. If I’m playing a solo part, I can move the baffle down slightly and get a nice edge to help projection. If we’re called to wail on a rock or pop piece, or I need to get up to (or even over) the brass, I can move the baffle down and knock down flying insects at 30 feet.

I can (and do) use a variety of synthetic reeds and can tailor the sound to each one to get just the right amount of edge/brightness needed.

I’m not trying to convince anyone to change or even advocate that they try the mouthpiece. I’m just trying to share my personal experience with the mouthpiece that at least one doesn’t leak and does sub-tones very well. As the car manufacturers say “your mileage may vary.” ;-) Gary

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I played on an older Strathon through college and at least 8 years after that with no leaks. I sold it a few years ago but have another vintange tenor model that also does not leak. When I say older models these are the ones that are made of HR and have the "patent pending" markings.

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,450 Posts
The only ones I've crossed paths with are the old Strathons made from the Zinner blanks before the wall came down. After hearing about supposed leakage, I check them by covering the end and blowing really hard into it. In the worst of cases, I've only ever noticed the very very very slightest of leaks and I was going dizzy - as in Gillespie - trying to make it leak.
:eek:ccasion: :drunken:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I tried one for a while "back when" and I didn't notice any significant leaking either. Being able to change the baffle and see the results in your playing was really cool.......I didn't like the shape though; the angle of the "beak" was uncomfortable for me.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,606 Posts
I have three Adjustatone pieces for baritone.
Only one of them leaked, but as I removed the baffle and plugged the hole it is of no concern to me.
The other two are perfectly fine and the best baritone pieces I own.
I have had a couple for tenor and neither of them leaked either.
Prices are pretty high for these.
Baritone allow close to $300
Perhaps a little less for Tenor or Alto.
Facings can be a little shorter than normal on the older pieces and can take some time to adapt to.
As for where to get one, keep an eye on eBay etc or post a WTB add on here.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Only one of them leaked, but as I removed the baffle and plugged the hole it is of no concern to me.
BTW, while they will never pass a "pop test", you don't have to plug them to stop a significant leak. Take it apart, coat the rod with a little candle wax, and reassemble. Problem solved.

It's also useful to do this from time to time (every couple years) just as a maintenance thing as the wax acts as a lubricant and will prevent further wear.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nicely done. What are you using for reeds? Sounds a bit like a Fibracell or some other synthetic.
I'm using a Rico Plasticover 2.5.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts