Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being a trumpet player,I've taken very little interest in talking about gear with other trumpeters,as we all have different tastes,as well as different ways of playing

why then is it different with sax??? I personally believe that your equipment has much more to do with your sound and playing ability than with brass

YES I become interested in certain pieces due to the feedback it receives here on SOTW and from recommendations of friends

the Strathon has always seemed suspect....can this really work????

I'm AMAZED!!!!!!

the aspects contain elements from my favorite gear... I'd say the piece over all ishaped like a HR berg,the reed plate is 1-screw(my favorite)and the plate itself is like the plate from my 2 favorite vintage 1-screw ligs 1 is a Keilwerth(and most likely where this one is conceived from)the other is a vintage brilhart 1-screw. the plate slides forward and backwards with ease.and of course the main feature of the piece...the movable baffle,moves back and forth easily as well....

I just can't believe that you can move from one extreme to the other and it holds the basic characteristic of the sound!!! it does it great! so for whatever reason i want to change for in the middle of a song,I don't think it will be obvious to the listener

on wide it's a nice smokey jazz sound in the middle will be my area of choice,with leeway on both sides....and narrow I'll have to get used to...but it sure aint bad!!!

thank you beowulfmk for a great piece. And I recommend it bigtime!!!!!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
These are, in my opinion, the "it" mouthpiece. Been playing one since 1972. I use them alto->bari and my tenor 5 even works well with my ancient Buescher C-melody.

Generally, on tenor and alto, I keep mine one notch off of full brilliant, which gives me edge when I want it, warmth when I don't. I usually keep the baffle full dark on bari.

If they had ever made one for sop, I'd have it, but sadly they didn't.

It's not a piece for legit work, but it's clearly the best sounding and most flexible piece I've ever owned.

Do yourself a favor. Take it apart (there is one screw and some wiggling involved) and coat the adjustment rod with candle wax. Make sure you don't drip candle wax actually into the piece. It will seal the adjusting rod nicely and make it even more responsive without damaging the adjustability of the piece.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Having "retired" it years ago, I sold my mine (Tenor 5) earlier this year. It served me well for over 20 years. (I'm now playing a Jody Jazz DV 7.) Once in a while, I carefully took it apart to give it a thorough cleaning. Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
That 7* was mine. Beowulfmk got it from me, and it was FABULOUS!!!

Best one I had ever played, for sure. No leaks and a fantastic sound.

I'm glad it made its way to you...ENJOY!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
,....so in other words...I dont need to take it apart and coat it with candle wax,right!!!!!

i figure twice a year i will soak the whole piece in lime-away to keep the mechanism running smoothly

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you mentioned notches... i distinctly feel that there are 4 notch positions...is that correct???? the baffle can be placed between the notches,however if desired...but i dont seem to feel there is any need for that,and furthermore by keeping it in the notches will probably keep it better from getting out of whack

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just as i mentioned with my guardala in other threads that it makes it easier to play...so does the Strathon! ive just compared it to my vintage HR pieces and its really a different sound,but so much easier to produce with.....
i was unsuccesful suggesting a resource for mouthpiece comparison before...and i see how subjective that really is...but it led me to neff's mouthpiece reviews,and the one piece that sounded very interesting to me was the SGII... neff and another nice gentleman who was selling his had posted sound clips and they sounded very unique and interesting(the mouthpiece that is)... ...well both of them confided to me that they didn't really like playing the piece.... when I finally found 2 in a shop I absolutely HATED them!! nonetheless ive been able to find that modern sound with the strathon...and it's tweakable!!!!!

since my raving review i've had TWO pm's asking if I want to sell my MBII then!! the answer is NO!!! they are completely different animals and not comparable.... the same way i wouldnt really compare a silverite dukoff to a guardala,I wouldnt compare either to the Strathon. I'm very interested to see which I will end up favoring on a funky club date(we call them galas over here) social,G.B.,working the outside....depending on where you come from!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx!
now having been said that mine is in perfect working condition...which is why i paid basically the highest price ive seen these going for.....they've been offered at 175 ,but were not 7*...i paid 225....

what are some of the problems that some of you have experienced with the mechanism of the mouthpiece???

this piece will stay in my theo wanne mouthpiece pouch which should insure good protection for the piece(only piece I have that im more worried about other parts than the tip!!!)

·
8,588 Posts
you mentioned notches... i distinctly feel that there are 4 notch positions...is that correct???? the baffle can be placed between the notches,however if desired...but i dont seem to feel there is any need for that,and furthermore by keeping it in the notches will probably keep it better from getting out of whack
The notches are reference clicks to know where you set it. Doesn't make a whit of difference to the piece's longevity, as the click is solely a function of the slider switch on the top.

Regarding the wax, if you can pop it, don't muck with it. If you can't then get the candle wax out and it will be even better.

·
8,588 Posts
thanx!
now having been said that mine is in perfect working condition...which is why i paid basically the highest price ive seen these going for.....they've been offered at 175 ,but were not 7*...i paid 225....

what are some of the problems that some of you have experienced with the mechanism of the mouthpiece???

this piece will stay in my theo wanne mouthpiece pouch which should insure good protection for the piece(only piece I have that im more worried about other parts than the tip!!!)
There's nothing really to go wrong. It may eventually start to leak a little around the the slider rod, but again, just a little candle wax solves that, lubricates it, and prevents it from wearing further -- which is why I suggested it in the first place. :)

That said, I've been playing on the same tenor 6 for 39 years. Doesn't pop, never did, but doesn't leak badly enough to muck with.

Just don't lose the ligature! I was eventually able to get Zinner to send me one for another piece I had that didn't have one, but it took 8 months of e-mails into a black hole before Carsten finally agreed to sell me one -- for $30 (21 euro) + shipping. I paid it, of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Nice pieces. I still have mine with the built in mic. Had to take the slider/baffle out to fit it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well...it did fail the pop test.............

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
took it on the gig today...... 7 hour gig on the flossfahrt......(ill submit details on my other thread,first full length gig on tenor)

let me back up....ive got a steady friday in a great sounding room...played more sax than ever on the gig ...first,cause of my new strathon...second,cause it plays so good!!!! really got into the getz vibe for a while...also rabbit(i know he's an alto player...but none the less)..... was GREAT...still there was no drummer on the gig

so this flossfahrt is a raft on the isar river...outside.....drums bass accordian and me...yes,we were wearing lederhosen! but this band could really rock out!!! strathon was doing great...i definately prefer the 1 notch in from closed position as well..... I was really playing some screaming rock n' roll tenor my ability to carry longer and longer solos at high intensity has been increasing rapidly as of late and these guys were really letting me open up...given the instumentation I was filling the lead guitar role...... i was very happy with the performance of this Zinner

until.....

about 5 hours in the band really started getting louder........ at this point I missed my Guardala which I didnt bring along

in a controlled atmosphere or with a good mic setup(i was purely acoustic) i dig the strathon extremely.... I find that the movable baffle is great for regulating response and articulation in a controlled environment ....but in this situation I found the more closed the baffle size,the harder to put air through the piece.

the trip ends at the end of the river where many people gather so its always a high point of the gig...we played Old Time Rock n' Roll which was nonstop tenor feature for about ten minutes...once again I would have preferred my DG

ive pretty much got the strathon in mind as the piece i play 2/3 of the gig on and the Sakshama Guardala for the scorchers..f.e. sax solo on Simply the Best

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i just got my Mark 6 back so that I can send it off to it's new owner.... good to play it again!!! the strathon is MUCH better on the Mark 6!!! i just had a long session choosing which of my coveted pieces are going into storage.... I've realized that the Mark 6 is MUCH more versatile comparatively to the New King as I thought......... however with the right combination of gear the New King gives me what I'm going for....given that,it is then locked in to the characteristic of that combination (without the mark 6s abilty to be flexible beyond that)....but for right now I just need to concentrate on my technique...and I can live with that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts