Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweet horn.

Was for sale locally (NFI) -- and sold after being advertised for about a week. Don't know anything about it other than the seller's info: "Strasser Marigaux. It is not a radiotone tho. It was manufactured in the early 50's..."

I played it--with a hard rubber mpc of unknown make--and it was very beautiful sounding -- very easy playing as well. It sold for around $2500 I think.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
My SML from c.1953 only says 'Strasser Marigaux' on the bell.

RIMG0113.jpg

It's known as a Revison D model, which is a roundabout way of saying it's one step away from being a full-blown Gold Medal with it's heavily marketed '22 Features' and quite a few steps ahead of the 1930's Rev. A (btw these 'revisions' are arbitrary historical indicators and never were actually labelled as such).

Let me quote saxpics.com:
"Strasser Marigaux & Lemaire was founded in 1934 by three partners: Charles Strasser, a businessman who was born in Switzerland; Marigaux, an instrument maker who trained at Buffet-Crampon, where his father was "premier ouvrier," and Lemaire.
After the death of Lemaire many years ago, Strasser and Marigaux bought their partner's shares and the company became known as "Strasser-Marigaux." Marigaux died in the early 1970s, leaving Strasser the sole owner of the company. Strasser then sold SML (it continues to use these initials) to a holding company -- Strasser-Marigaux S.A.."

So, if it's from the early 50's and the bell omits Lemaire it's most likely a Rev. D same as mine.

A helluva horn! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts