Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding "three ring" strap rings from MM to supplement the originals on circa 1900 Buffet Evette Shaeffers (two altos). Soft solder OK for this purpose?

The originals are right by the side C tonehole- I figure around 1.5 inches below the side Bb, as found on most modern altos.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your help.

The Apogee and Evette Sch. system horns have tons of "stuff" on them and the tone holes are soldered on (could be brazed but I don't think so). Silver soldering would, for me, involve a tub worth of heat dissipation compound and I'd still be really antsy about unintended side effects- as in "stuff" falling off!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,532 Posts
Yes the tone holes are porbably soft soldered as well, silver solder in mainly for construnction of the keys,like cups to rods etc.....where strength is a real issue, the rest is soft soldered wich means its easy to repair.....

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
Use something like Kool Jool on the toneholes (and anything else nearby), make sure your surfaces mate perfectly and are super clean, and maybe try the tinning method (apply solder to strap ring before mounting) instead of feeding and flowing like normal. Just be careful with tinning, you need to keep the solder clean and get the right amount on there and heat it with some finesse in order to gain the benefit of not needing to keep the piece hot for as long.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Who's Willco? Roger?

Any relation to Ohver, Uhnder, or Dunne?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts