Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently bought alto sax (Hanson LX Custom) is great. As I have got more used to it, I have noticed I am playing better and better but ... it doesn't feel quite right in the hands.

By this I mean that when I let go of the sax and let it hang on the neck strap alone, on the strap ring, the whole instrument rotates to the left. Having noticed this I have now realised that while I am playing I am making all sorts of adjustments using my hands and arms and body to keep the instrument aligned. A spin off of this is that in order to get the neckjoint in the right place for me to play, I have to rotate it from centre to the left, so much so that it is almost starting to lift up the octave key.

I have cobbled together a device to move the strap connection to the right (see photos) and this is keeping the whole instrument much more balanced and inline - it is not pretty but it is easier to play! NB the nut and bolt are just there to keep the strap hook in the correct place and I will tidy this up!

Is there a better device around to do this? Is it possible to have the ring itself moved? Am I right that this is the problem (because a successful solution doesn't always mean the problem has been addressed!)?

I would be grateful for your thoughts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,175 Posts
Thanks for your picture, crude though it is a solution, this may help someone

Many saxophones show problems with alignement of the strap ring. In reality a lot of players adapt the angle of the neck as much as possible to , combined with the ring position, play in a comfortable way. this is why to some extent all saxophone necks can be slightly turned (or not quite so slightly) left or right and in baritones or bass you can also hold the sax at a more or less pronounced angle.

Most modern saxophones have bells more or less oriented to the left (in order to feature the toneholes of the right hand and left hand on different alignement) and due to the construction and interpretation of the “ Balanced action” version of teir mechanics (many featuring an ever so different version of the original Selmer invention).

the ring can be removed (or better still you can add another ring) but this will come to a price (not only money( but on lacquered saxophones you or your technicia will , by the process of soldering itself, need to burn the lacquer to solder the new ring.

There have been in the past mechanisms such as the addjust balancer by codera which offered (in the prototype) some horizontal adjuysting but in reality offered a lot more options in varying the angle of the ring action .

·
Registered
265 Posts
FWIW, I have a very early Yamaha 21 Vito that has the same situation. I posted a thread here a while back with pics, and other 21 owners posted photos showing the strap ring in a more "natural" position with later serial numbers. I've somehow convinced myself this was to facilitate playing while sitting down, but that's just to save me a trip to the shop to have the ring moved!

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
There can be considerable variation in position of strap rings due to weak QC on the plant floor. I saw that with two Conn tenors made within a couple years of each other. Just have it moved and never speak of it again.

Yeah, it'll mar the lacquer a bit, but it's a store-brand Chinese horn - resale value might be reduced by up to $3.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,224 Posts
With the sax on the sling balance the sax on your thumbs. The neck should point towards you. If it doesn't, adjust it so that it does. It shouldn't be inline with the instrument. If you look at players on Youtube, you'll see the sax often looks like it's held funny because the neck is move to be comfortable.
Once the sax is centred to the balanced middle rather than inline, it shouldn't move away when your fingers are off. If the octave key needs adjusting a bit then just bend it a little. Sometimes these are set with not enough clearance. If you have to play sitting down you may have to move the neck further and then the key may well lift.

·
39,175 Posts
exactly as Oric Muso says, most saxophones can be balanced simply adjusting the angle of the neck , only ever in extreme cases anything else is required

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
exactly as Oric Muso says, most saxophones can be balanced simply adjusting the angle of the neck , only ever in extreme cases anything else is required
Thanks for all your responses.
This is my second sax - I guess the first just fitted me (though I walways had the neck to the right of centre). With this one, in order to get a balance, with just thumbs and sling in contact, I have to move the neck so far round that it raises the octave key, considerably. So I think I have to have the ring moved - and your comments have encouraged me that it is not that difficult to do. The sax body is unlacquered bronze, so no issues with lacquer.
I would take it back whence I got it but that is in the UK and I live in the south of France - current conditions make that difficult. Anyone know of a good technician in the Montpellier/Toulouse area (I live half way in between)?

·
39,175 Posts
the octave key ring can be adjusted so that you don’t have this problem, having the neck in the geometrical center in not normal for many saxophones

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,191 Posts
I have the Codera "Addjust Balancer" andf it does offer a variety of positions but they are more for forward balance and weight balance. For me, moving the strap ring was the best improvement. Far better than the Codera. I would also recommend you get one of the ergonomic thumb rest.

MusicMedic Comfort Thumb Hook

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,492 Posts
IMO correct way to move the strap is with the player present, or at least a good understanding of what feels good to the player. Even if that's you, I've never gotten what's a satisfactory result in under 1 hour, including clean-up.

I just don't want people coming to me expecting me to make them happy in a time stretch that to me isn't realistic for that, and then thinking I'm being contrary because they read on the internet I should be able to do it in 10 minutes.

Just getting rid of the lacquer, before even moving things, takes 10 minutes by itself. So does the reshot nitrocellulose drying (by itself).

I can't do it in less than 1 hour unless I get really lucky with the placement, 1st or 2nd shot.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
My "ten minute job" was hyperbole.

I should be more careful with that in the current everything-taken-literally environment.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,492 Posts
I did know. It happens a lot that people contacting me for service who were not very aware of me before recently don't believe me when I recommend what I take to be correct, or when I tell them their "it's really minor, it should only take like 15 minutes" is probably not the case, because something on the internet (not from you, but from here) gave them a wrong impression. I have literally had to tell customers to get f___ed because they could not believe me when I recommended the correct application, and they thought something totally nonsense was the thing I should do, because I can't work like that.

It sucks for everybody when that situation comes up. It comes up a lot, but thankfully the nuclear option doesn't have to be used very often, and when it is it's sort of a certain personality type (people who live on the internet and think it is more real than IRL life).

My comment was aimed at preventing that, not taking you to task. I need to learn to find ways of doing that that feel less personal. It's hard to avoid contradictions feeling personal.

My agenda is just to do my part to make life easier for all "IRL." I do think you know that & I appreciate yr measured response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts