Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The straps I have found are too tight on the front sides of my neck when I get the soprano curvy high enough. Cutting
off the blood supply to my head is not working well.
Need a strap with a comfort bar like Protec makes for larger saxophones or whatever will work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,511 Posts
A cheaper option is to take a regular strap and tie a knot in it. I sometimes to this with very young students.

·
14,361 Posts
"Just Joe's" strap can be made shorter. Contact him and discuss.

The strap that came with my new Kessler curved soprano requires me to cinch it up a lot, but it eventually works without choking me.

I normally don't use a neck strap on sopranos, even curved sops, but the Kessler is so smooth to the touch and the keywork is just enough different that my grip on the horn is such that it feels more secure in my hands with a strap in use.

On my Yanagisawa SC902, no strap needed. DAVE

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Cebulla makes a strap specifically for a curved soprano, but it does not have a wide spacer bar. But you probably don't need one with this horn, because it's so light. The key is for the strap to be short enough so that you don't have to tighten it all the way up into your throat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,047 Posts
I use a Just Joe’s for my sop. If you are sufficiently clever in determining the max length you need for your other horns, you may find that one strap will rule them all. For me, it was 22” - that spans tenor to sop. Talk to Joe and he’ll dial in the length that works best for you.

See his website for details: https://justjoessaxgelstrap.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all.
Ordered a Protec 22" with comfort bar. Hope to modify it and make it work.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
What you need is a strap that goes around and is fastened with a buckle, like a belt; rather than adjusting with a slider. For alto I bought many years ago a bass clarinet strap (with two hooks), removed one hook, and shortened it to fit, punching additional holes as needed. That's what I would do. The slider type tend to choke me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got a custom from Just Joes that fits my alto and soprano so I don't have to change straps. He had me measure both straps I was using then made one that works for both. Excellent service and comfortable strap.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,380 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,740 Posts
I go Ray Hyman with all my horns from bari to soprano. Since I generally have a collared shirt on when I gig, I don't need a comfort neck strap. Just a functional one. I did play my curved Buescher soprano without a strap for decades, but it's just too hard on my right thumb these days so I go with a Ray Hyman for alto on my soprano and it works for me.

·
3,511 Posts
I'm confused because in the photo they show a straight soprano, not a curved. Can anyone confirm it is made for a curvy?
Yes, I can. I used to (or maybe still do - not sure) own one. Great strap and it would go in the washing machine too!

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I go Ray Hyman with all my horns from bari to soprano. Since I generally have a collared shirt on when I gig, I don't need a comfort neck strap. Just a functional one. I did play my curved Buescher soprano without a strap for decades, but it's just too hard on my right thumb these days so I go with a Ray Hyman for alto on my soprano and it works for me.
If you play baritone using a Ray Hyman patented "Deguello" strap, you're a tougher man than I am. I hate those things.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
130 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought a cheap (less than $2 delivered) ribbon type neck strap from China. My wife cut a few inches off it and sewed it back together and now it works great. It also has a very secure plastic hook.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,740 Posts
If you play baritone using a Ray Hyman patented "Deguello" strap, you're a tougher man than I am. I hate those things.
Not sure which is the Deguello model, but the ones I use are the simple black straps with the slide bar. I play an old Conn New Wonder bari, and it's not a heavy horn. But back when I was playing alto, tenor and bari with one of my groups, I used a single Ray Hyman that fit all of them.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Not sure which is the Deguello model, but the ones I use are the simple black straps with the slide bar. I play an old Conn New Wonder bari, and it's not a heavy horn. But back when I was playing alto, tenor and bari with one of my groups, I used a single Ray Hyman that fit all of them.
They're all "Deguello" straps to me (it means "decapitation"). Like I said, your neck is obviously tougher than mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts