Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently purchased a '45 Zephyr bari. It's sugar and spice, but not everything's nice.

There is a strange vibration that occurs on certain notes after the horn has warmed up, specifically, high 'c', and low 'f'-'d'. The vibration on the 'c' is more of a hum, while the low 'f'-'d' is almost like a growl. I've tried 5 mouthpieces with it, and all get the extra face massaging vibe.

Any thoughts? I had one tech do some quick work to it for a gig in Chicago, but he couldn't isolate the source of the vibration in the amount of time I allowed him.

Thanks,

-s

·
Registered
464 Posts
Check and see if there is enough spring tension on the left hand palm keys. If the spring pressure is too light, the keys may be vibrating when you play the lower notes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check that, but wouldn't my fingers being on the keys- closing them on the low notes- keep the keys from vibrating?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Your fingers are on the stack keys. It might be the side keys that you are not touching that are vibrating. This is just a guess though. I've seen this happen before. If you can, play the horn, get the vibration going, and get someone else to try to find it by touching different areas of the horn. These things can be hard to find and VERY frustrating. Good luck !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. I'll enlist my wife. Thanks.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Some vibrations are caused by metal parts vibrating against other metal parts that they are close to, eg the high E key against a support post, or a loose low key bumper holder (in a key guard), or even an unlubricated pivot, say one of the key rollers.

But is this a metallic vibration or more of an 'acoustic' vibration?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gordon,

I'd have to say that it's an acoustic vibration- something is sympathetically humming on the horn. Before I put a pad on the mouthpiece, the high 'c' would get my teeth rattling. The low notes that cause the vibration almost create a multiphonic, with beats.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She found it- the high F palm key. Man, that's a long arm. The key is loose at the pivot- there's so much side to side motion that i can almost get the side of the key cup to contact the tone hole.

First, please, are there suggestions just for dampening the vibration? Second, what is involved in getting a tighter fit on that pivot?

Thanks,

-s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts