Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On June 16 I played a show at a local outside venue with a nice air-conditioned dressing room backstage. While getting ready for the show, I noticed an alto reed on the floor. it was flipped over and the flat was up, but nothing was written on it. I picked it up and looked on the top side, and saw that it was an old Rico Royal with the stick-on label on the bark. Are you kidding me? How long has it been since Rico Royals came this way? I have some in my old reeds that I played in the early 1990s. I thought that was pretty weird - like somebody recently played there and used a reed they had for 20 years? Or, maybe the dressing room is never really cleaned and this reed had been stuck somewhere all that time? It was just weird - I could hear that 'Outer Limits' weird music in my head. I mean it was an oldies show anyway but this was too much like I had really slipped back in time - but unfortunately stayed my same age. :(

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ohhh, man, you're freakin' me out! I lost a reed exactly like it in that exact place 25 years ago! Been looking for it ever since. 'Coz it was my magic lucky reed that never wore out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got a few boxes of these a few years ago from a friend who had a music shop in the late 80s, he was cleaning out an attic and found 2 boxes of tenors and a box of altos.They are not pretty to the eye, they are discoloured and look a bit mouldy, but i cleaned them up and use them sometimes, they are really to play, some of the tenors were 4s but play like 2s, you can't really push them because i guess they're so dried out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts