Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried a box of ZZ's, but I found something quite strange about the reeds.

All of them, except for 2, would "buzz" on the notes, especially when I went into the second octave. It's really quite strange. The two reeds that are playable play quite phenomenaly, while the rest just have that buzzing sound on the notes.

I find this only happens with my ZZ reeds though. Traditionals and Javas dont seem to have this problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dislike ZZs for that very reason. I tried ZZ 3s on bari, and every single one of them would buzz, especially in the low register.

·
Registered
853 Posts
ZZ's are the buzziest reeds on the planet, saving maybe BARI brand synthetics.

I like them every now and then, particularly when I feel that I need more brightness and liveliness. They don't "break in" well though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,343 Posts
Vandoren, their site says it as well, has been plagued recently by Chinese copies on the market which look exactly like the real thing, could this be the case?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
milandro said:
Vandoren, their site says it as well, has been plagued recently by Chinese copies on the market which look exactly like the real thing, could this be the case?
I think it's really how they are. I've found the same thing and I've bought mine through ReedsDirect and sax.co.uk and several others (Dirty I think was one of them) has also found the same.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only two out of the whole box dont buzz, and those reeds are quite exceptional. However, I cant justify spending 32 dollars on a box with only two reeds that dont buzz..

·
Registered
97 Posts
ZZ reeds

I've found ZZ reeds to work very well with my ponzol mouthpieces
that have high baffles. I use a 2 1/2 on my ponzol bari custom. Otherwise,
I was using Javas or Blue Box on my links and bergs.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, ok. I'll try playing with a high baffle mouthpiece. Also, what facing and chamber size do you have? I love the sound ZZ reeds make when they play right.

What reed would be closest to ZZs? I'm thinking of trying an alternative option.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ZZ reeds

I wouldn't change mouthpieces to fit the reed. I have the exact same setup for alto as you have listed and I use JAVA 3 reeds. The concept of the ZZ reeds seems to be a brighter "jazzier" sound with less "work" required of the musician. That's how I perceive them anyway. If you like your setup, i wouldn't change it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,511 Posts
I love my new ZZ reeds. They work remarkably well with my Runyon. I have not yet experienced any of the problems that you have yet with these reeds. This is maybe because I only have gotten through 2/10. This happened with the blue box reeds. I guess they hate my Runyon mpc. Neither any V16 or Java have ever given me any problems of the sort. I think that ZZs are better than the rest.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here. To me, Javas and V16s have more of a "punch" to them, but ZZs just feel perfect for jazz.

Maybe I'll try a stronger cut next time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
sod9728 said:
I recently tried a box of ZZ's, but I found something quite strange about the reeds.

All of them, except for 2, would "buzz" on the notes, especially when I went into the second octave. It's really quite strange. The two reeds that are playable play quite phenomenaly, while the rest just have that buzzing sound on the notes.

I find this only happens with my ZZ reeds though. Traditionals and Javas dont seem to have this problem.
Buy a small piece of Plate glass and a sheet of #600 wet-or-dry abrasive paper. Place sandpaper on plate glass, gently rub bottom of reed back and forth until it is smooth and perfectly flat. Wet reed and blow horn.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got a new box of ZZ reeds, size 3.5, a week ago, and it doesnt have any of the aforementioned problems.

Thanks for the tips though. I'll try that method, Allthatjazz, if I have any other reeds that buzz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I've recently bought 3 boxes of 2.5 and 2 boxes of 3 ZZs and to tell the truth, every reed works fine right out of the box. I don't experience the buzz thing either. I find them quite consistent. I just have to get used to the fact that cane reeds don't last as long as Fibracells. I'm playing these on a 130/2 Berg(2.5) and a Ponzol M2 110(3) or a NY 7* Link(2.5)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts