·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They appear to be from the later model Super 20's. Over the long run of the Super 20's there were a lot of different neck set ups. Pics at:

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&c=2007
I've seen a lot of Super 20 underslung necks. I have never seen this type of underslung neck before and I don't find any on Saxpics either... d'you?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can add that the second auction you have listed,{the one with the complete neck}
I happen to know that guy personally, [he did'nt make any of the parts}

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
It appeared that the octave keys on the highest serial number horns pictured were the same as the ones for sale to me. It was difficult to ascertain in any detail though- no decent neck close ups. I don't see any obvious differences though either.

I, as you apparently, have owned several Super 20's over the years both from the fifties and the late sixties early seventies. The EBay octave keys appear to be credible replacements for a UMI Super 20- for sixty or seventy bucks I'd have taken a chance on them if I needed one.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can add that the second auction you have listed,{the one with the complete neck}
I happen to know that guy personally, [he did'nt make any of the parts}
My point is that I have never, until the past week or so, seen either a key made like these or an attachment method like that on the pictured neck. If it is a factory made arm/neck, then as Henry D suggests, it would seem to be a (somewhat obscure) UMI part.

The fotos below show the obvious differences. The first two are examples of this "odd" (UMI?) part. The last one shows the more common design of underslung S20 neck (430XXX Eastlake).

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
That would not work on mine as the octave lever does not extend far enough down the neck tenon. Mine is like the picture on the far right above and it shows the lever extends almost to the bottom of the neck tenon. It might work on one of the last styles of Super 20s built, not sure.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I almost bought the first one, just to have. $75 seems pretty fair to replace that, if something were to happen to one of mine. I thought it was the same (the 1st one, I'd never seen the second ebay listing, with the complete neck), but after looking at it, it appears the ebay octave key is less rounded through the piece. Not sure how it would line up against the neck tenon, or how far down it would reach, like Smokey613 mentioned. The 2 tenors I have are somewhat late: a Cleveland 418,9xx SilverSonic and a Eastlake 439,xxx Super 20. They match the 3rd picture, but as I said, didn't notice the difference.

Interesting... I almost bought the first octave key, like I said, for the price I thought it would be a good idea, just in case.

Good eye xax!

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i think i understand what the above pictured "mystery" underslung neck is all about... It appears to me that in both cases, they are underslung Buescher parts; in one foto, it's the octave "arm"; in the other it's the whole Buescher neck but...without the 2 neck braces.

Below is a foto of a neck from a current eBay listing along with the OP fotos.

The first neck is from a listing for a Super 20 tenor with...an underslung neck. Yeeah but, this sure looks like a Buescher neck not an S20 neck to me. So it seems that these are all a case of Buescher underslung being mistaken for Super 20 and not some strange, new, other late model, post Eastlake, UMI neck after all...
:smilebox:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts