Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,457 Posts
I think its a re-lacquer that's not aging well. The horn looks pretty good in my quick 'once-over'. Martins can stand one or two buffings pretty well because of the thick tone holes. Engraving is shallow now but still legible. I probably would figure this one to let the lacquer go over time. Just normal rubbing with a cloth will probably do the job over a few years. I like these late Martins - it might play well.

·
7,457 Posts
The USA price is $2720. I can't see a relacquered Martin in unknown condition going for more than $1700 here, or Eu1496.

·
7,457 Posts
Here's what an original one looks like.

·
7,457 Posts
It was good, had a few dents and re-solders. I sold it to a dealer so I could buy a low A bari. It has taken me three years to get settled with a mouthpiece on the new one but I do not miss the ergonomics and intonation peculiarities of the Martin. I play better on the new one since the keys are exactly where my fingers expect them to be and of course it has excellent intonation. Also with the new-style longer upper loop and shorter neck, the horn rides higher and closer, with arms and hands in more normal positions compared to the Martin, where you really should be 6' or taller to be comfortable with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Mmmmmmmm....I am gonna sorta disagree here. Having refurbished over 100 Martins....I cannot draw a conclusion that the horn advertised is a relacquer.

Quite honestly...I was gonna reply to your query wondering if something was done to the lacq:

"Looks like a nice ol' Martin to me".

I have seen original lacq martins which aged that way and have turned various hues from coffee-esque, multicolored sienna-esque, and the like. Not that unusual, really.

I would inquire with the seller as to whether it is a relacq.

Again, the pics and looks of the horn do not lead me to conclude off the bat that it's a relacq. It might be, but it might not....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts