Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really strange so just hear me out. I've played sax for around 4 years and i guess I've been doing this for the whole time or its gotten worse maybe. Well basically i tongue with my lip. Its stretched out very far and i tap my bottom lip with the tongue and it allows me to articulate very fast. I hadn't realized it until recently playing Haitian Fight Song which requires very fast tonguing. I really can't stop it now because of how stretched my lower lip is and i actually like how it sounds. It has a nice mellow tone and like i mentioned before i can articulate very well. Is there a word for what this technique is and should i really try to stop?

·
Registered
736 Posts
how clear are the articulations? Can you get a good staccato?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
You need to stop.

I haven't heard your playing but I can only tell you that your playing already is or is going to suffer from not employing the proper technique.

Now I'm no stickler for proper technique. Lord knows. But this is a big one. The rolled out lip embouchure is a legit one. Lot's of players play like that. But you're not allowing the reed full vibrational potential if you're playing the way you describe. Have you done this through the full 4 years you've been playing?

Because you've gotten good at cheating doing it the right way is going to either sound bad or be much harder at first. But you need to stick with it and get this down.

The only way I know how to advise you is as follows and maybe others can add more specific instructions.

When you play your 12 major scales articulate them in a few ways. I like to do Legato the first one. Tongue one slur one for the second. Tongue two slur two for the third and then tongue all for the fourth. All your major scales. Throughout the entire range of your horn (meaning all the way up and back down then back to the starting note). And at a medium-up tempo playing 16th notes at around 120 BPM.

You should be able to do this easily and fluidly and I bet that you probably can't do it the way you describe.

I myself have very little time to practice these days. Maybe 45 mins to an hour and 15 a day. This is hard coming from someone who used to practice at least 5 hours a day for many years. This is what I practice and long tones.

Good luck!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well, all I'm saying is if he can do some Wiedoeft stuff, there's no reason to change it. Let's hear you if you wouldn't mind.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
...Its stretched out very far and i tap my bottom lip with the tongue......
I understand this to mean that your lip is curved inward a great deal.

......... It has a nice mellow tone.......
That's because you're dampening the reed vibrations, you probably find it hard to play at stronger dynamic levels with this technique.

...should i really try to stop?.........
That depends......
Do you just play at home for yourself or do you want to play with others?
If you like the sound you're getting and you have no plans to play outside of your home, then don't change.
If you want to play with others and you want to develop a tone that projects, then you'll have to change.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I don't actually understand what is going on. It seem you are tonguing your lip, not the reed, how is that going to stop the reed vibrating?
I suspect it's kinda like a ghost note effect, hard to tell without hearing it.
I hear it sometimes with some of my students, they'll unintentionally miss the reed when tonguing and touch their lower lip or the roof of their mouths.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts