Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a number of straight soprano players using a "pencil" like condenser mic clippped to the bell. I know that its an AKG 747 'shotgun' condenser mic. Kenny G also uses one.

I also heard that some DIY had to be done to this mic before it can be clipped to the soprano's bell. It will end up with the mic pointing towards the bell.

Anybody using this ? May I know how to setup this mic for soprano?

There was somebody on Ebay who sold one...setup and ready to go. I missed that auction.

Pls help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Check out the AKG C419, or maybe the C416 for a soprano. They are the best bang for the buck. IMHO.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
ChuBerry47 said:
Did some one say AK-47?
Maestro:

Seriously, there's a weird rule around here about posting gun pictures. You're going to incur a visit from the SOTW gods soon. . . . shhhh.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew this was gonna happen...I merely posted a question in good faith. I'm not the person who makes these microphones...I did NOT want to make them sound like the bloody guns you love so much. There's no need to show me pictures. I know what are AK 47s. You should have your eyes checked or your "humour" checked.

This is a saxophone Forum.

Thanks.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Oh, come on dude--get a life. I was gonna post a pic of a jumbo jet. But seeing that you're such a ***---. Just because Kenny Gorelick uses a certain mic, and has the bucks to spend on an entourage of sound/light gear, doesn't mean it's difficult to mic a sop.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I see...so it seems I'm missing something in this Forum? At least know I've learnt that there are so many id**ts lurking around...having a f**king good time making assumptions and creating unexpected humour.

1) I never said that the AKG 747 is THE solution to the "problem" of miking a soprano. I said I wanted to know more. Isn't this what the Forum is about?

2) I'm only using Gorelick as an example of someone using it. Since he's so infamous here...I guess it would be easy for anybody to remember "hey...yeah...I know what you mean...that "pencil" mic he's got on his sop". I'm only using this as a reference...DUDE.

I was already kind enough to make my point clear after the first id**t posted the pic of the gun. I did not ask "why a gun"...you might as well post the pic of the jumbo jet...I don't give a s**t.

(I wanted to say "Oh...I forgot that you guys are preoccupied with guns...no wonder there are shootings in American schools everyday)...Sorry...you made me do it!

Lesson Learnt: this Forum is not that friendly after all. I might as well write to AKG and ask for answers. Save me the trouble of inciting unecessary insult and "humour"...I'm biginning to lose respect for this Forum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,955 Posts
Hey, take your foul language someplace else.

It is not appreciated.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...as if I started it?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
Okay, so I'm gonna answer your question. AN AKG 747 will work fine, but there are less expensive solutions. A hypercardioid mic has its own problems. Don't mic the bell. The AMT Roam elite sounds great on sop. So does an SM57.

It all depends on what you want to do when you mic the horn.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,251 Posts
View attachment 3091

Yeah, 747s are too heavy to attach to the bell.

The samson airline77 system is pretty good, too.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I am sorry about the picture that I posted earlier. I didn't know that any harm would really come from it, and so many people would be offended. Please, those of you who were offended, please accept my sincere apologies. But I do agree that there is really no foul language needed. Really, dropping an "F" bomb, about a stupid microphone?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey...it's cool. I'm sorry too for the harsh words. Let's all continue to make this world a better place to live in...esp for saxophonists!

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I don't mean to sound patronizing, BUT, I always try to step away from the computer for a while before I post, (or email), if I am upset. Works. daryl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts