Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering whether most players are using a straight or a curved neck when playing a straight soprano.

Is one better than the other or is it just a personal thing? Which is most popular and why?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
If the sop has a fixed neck, most players are using a straight neck. Everything thing else is subjective.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
It IS subjective AND a personal thing, except for the physical pain some experience that require them to use a neck strap. In that case, the curved necks seem to work better.

I use straight necks on all of my sopranos with removable necks, except for my curved Yanagisawa. On that horn, I've found the best neck is the one that came with it.

Most players report a difference in tonal quality and volume when switching necks (straight to curved). That has been my experience. I don't like curved necks on straight sopranos just because of the tonal and volume issues. DAVE

·
Registered
865 Posts
Straight neck is easier for me to blow and play in tune, yet I like the sound of the curved neck better (a tag more mellow to my ears), on my straight sop
:cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use the curved neck for classical and the straight neck for jazz. For classical, the curved neck seems to give a slightly darker/more mellow sound and allows me to hold it closer to my body and blend better in quartet settings. For jazz, the straight neck allows me to hold the sax up higher for projection in big band. Also, it is convenient, because I was able to have the straight neck recorked to fit my Bari HR mouthpiece so I wouldn't have to use tape/paper and use my C* on the curved neck. So, for me it's not as much sound as convenience.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I only use the curved neck. I like a dark tone on soprano and it is also more comfortable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I prefer the straight neck on the straight soprano. The curved necks are for me more mellow and the high notes tend to be a little less clear and full with the curved necks.

Of course some horns respond well with either or and every neck is a little different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts