Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm a new member from Germany and I 'm going to buy a new baritone saxophone this christmas.
It will be a Sequoia Booster (http://www.sequoiasaxophones.it/en/instruments/baritone )
I want this "In da Face"-Funk Sound to play things like TOP with the most fattest sonor sound possible.
I'm sure that this is something which isn't easy to get, but I want to come as close to it as possible.

My price limit is about 500€ which is 679,40$ this moment :D
So if you have any idea, what I should test (TEST not buy :D) just post them.

Greetings,
Saxophant

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jody Jazz DV. Hits the price point at $650 USD and is a straight up paint peeler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mates,

another thing is that my teacher (who has this tip directly from Stephen Kupka (he played in their opening act twice)) said I should search for extreme openings like 10,11 or 12 to get an extreme fat sound at the low end of the horn. His tip was a Rico Metalite 11 (which isn't build anymore), but I want to have a brider spectrum of tips to choose the perfect mouthpiece for my style of playing.

Greetings,
Saxophant

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,384 Posts
Wide open Berg Larsen steel or rubber pieces can be great. I'm using a steel 125/3 M for such gigs. Another option could be the Jody Jazz Classic with the removable spoiler inside. They won't cost you too much.
I usually play a Jody Jazz ESP (not produced anymore), which also came with a removable spoiler. For big band work, I play without the spoiler, the horn remains quite mellow unless I play really loud. When I add the spoiler, the sound gets edgier already at mf level.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Guardala MKII (.115) is a really nice MPC and costs 450 euro (silver version)
I play instrumental funk on this one. (complete setup: Serie II bari - Fibracell 3)

·
3,384 Posts
Forgot to mention: synthetic reeds will give you extra edge and volume. They will also survive many loud and excessive gigs. It is of course very personal, but Fiberreed Carbon do it for me. As you are in Germany, contact Harry Hartman through his site www.fiberreed.com. Er ist sehr offen zur Diskussion und kann dich par Mail beraten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
@dexdex I own a Fiberreed Carbon for the alto, but there it was too aggressive for me since I prefer a more balanced, versatile sound on the alto, but you're wright these reed could be perfect for my baritone sound. I'll write mr. Hartmann, when I've got my mouthpiece, until then it wont make so much sense in my opinion.

Another personal question is: what do you think of custom-made mpcs like the Steamer (http://www.steamersound.de/home.htm it's in german, but you surely know the concept). Could one of these fit my idea of sound? (yes it could, but who do you think would be the best for the job?)

Greetings,
Saxophant

·
3,384 Posts
My general concerns with custom made are always:
1. how can you be so sure about what you want ?
2. how long will it last ?
3. what if any single parameter changes (reed, horn, band, style) ?
We buy general purpose cars, industrial mayonnaise, taiwanese no-name horns, it seems that we should be able to reach our musical goals with market products.
Most important is to stay open to change and explorations. And make sure you can recover some of the invested money buy selling or trading the hardware you don't use anymore.
But this is only my opinion. I'm no pro musician.
Pete Thomas (http://tamingthesaxophone.com/) typically had mouthpieces designed specially for him, and he sells them in small series. So this shows that custom-made might well be a good approach. He is member of this forum too, you might talk to him directly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Are you a new baritone player? If so, I wouldn't worry about the fat, in-your-face sound just yet, especially if coming from a smaller sax.

If you already play bari and are just looking to try a high baffle mouthpiece, then I'd definitely pick up a Metalite 9 (if you can't find an 11). Even if you hate it, it's not a whole lot of money to speed to find out. (I'd be hesitant to spend 600 euro until I know exactly what I wanted.)

When you've had a little bit of time playing with it, you'll have a much better idea of what you are after.

(I currently use a Metalite 5 with a fibracell 2.5 on bari - it gives me plenty of versatility. However, I also prefer smaller tips and softer reeds than what I usually read on these forums.)

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Berg Larsen - probably an older one or one that's been refaced
Theo Wanne Durga
Jody Jazz DV
PPT Power
Drake Contemporary Crossover I or II
RPC - Ron will make you whatever you ask for
Otto Link STM - refaced with added baffle
PMS MKII
Vigilante Detroit Rock, Studio, or Chicago Blues

It's very difficult to find bari pieces just "to try" as they are expensive to stock and don't sell all that quickly so few stores carry many models or tip openings. I'd suggest you look at tip openings between .110 - .120 unless you have been playing bari for several years already. Even then, .115 or .120 maybe difficult to control if you aren't used to a tip that wide.

Good Luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
My price limit is about 500€ which is 679,40$ this moment :D
Since you are in Europe, see what kind of trial policy they have. They seem promising. I tried tenor, alto and soprano ST. They are great.
Good value for money too.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?200133-Absolute-Baritone-ST-mouthpiece-review
http://absolutesax.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
1,241 Posts
I try a lot of mouthpiece recently and the "must in front or in the face" is the Jody Jazz DV .Very versatile, bright but not overly, articulation is like playing a tenor!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi mates,

here are some answers and comments to the things you said:
@dexdex
I think you're wright concerning custom-mouthpieces. They can be good for somebody who is really shure of what he wants (and who is shure that he is going to stay with it forever :D) So this project is cancelled :D

@Saxlicker
RPCs are difficult to get here in germany and in generally I don't think it would be a good idea to buy one blindly.

@aaronrod
Yes I'm a new baritone player, but I'm a pretty good alto and tenor player (at least for the time I play, which is about 7 years).
I totally agree with your second point: if I buy a Rico metalite and I do not like it, it's not much of a lost. So why should I not buy it.

@all
I found a solution which sounds pretty well to me:
I'll but a very cheap mouthpiece and half a year later (in the summer holidays) I'll visit Duchstein (one of the best german Saxophone shops) to search for MY mouthpiece.
You can look over here http://www.saxophon-service.de/homep/angebote/mund-ss.html#Baritonsaxophon which mouthpieces they sell.
The site is in german, but the mouthpiece's names are the same.

I think that is the most logical thing to do.

Greetings,
Saxophant

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. I played alto for over 15 years before I tried baritone - it took me about 6 months to really start feeling comfortable over the entire range using a very small-tipped, medium chambered, no baffle mouthpiece (think easy to play student model, I'm not sure exactly what mouthpiece it was). The biggest change was learning to approach the horn as it's own instrument with it's own strengths, weaknesses, and tone rather than treating it like a really big alto.

Enjoy the experience, it's a lot of fun. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I found a solution which sounds pretty well to me:
I'll but a very cheap mouthpiece and half a year later (in the summer holidays) I'll visit Duchstein (one of the best german Saxophone shops) to search for MY mouthpiece.
You can look over here http://www.saxophon-service.de/homep/angebote/mund-ss.html#Baritonsaxophon which mouthpieces they sell.
The site is in german, but the mouthpiece's names are the same.

I think that is the most logical thing to do.

Greetings,
Saxophant
I know Mike very well and live in the same city as his shop. You should make sure that the mpcs you really are interested in, are there on the day you go to the shop. They don't update the list all the time (they don't have the time to) and more than once the mpc i was interested in was sold or shipped for trial. But he offers you to send mpcs also for trial.

For me the Drake had much more punch than the Jody DV (bought both in the shop from Mike Duchstein).

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I know Mike very well and live in the same city as his shop. You should make sure that the mpcs you really are interested in, are there on the day you go to the shop. They don't update the list all the time (they don't have the time to) and more than once the mpc i was interested in was sold or shipped for trial. But he offers you to send mpcs also for trial.

For me the Drake had much more punch than the Jody DV (bought both in the shop from Mike Duchstein).
Florian - which Drake did you get the Crossover I or II?? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts