Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It's one of the stretch horns which indeed were the last sopranos and ran into the 235xxx S/N range (about 220xxx to 235xxx). It has the funny bis key that I'm pretty sure indicates a stretch model.
It will require its original mouthpiece or one specially made to play it in tune. It needs a special chamber configuration.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
With many thousands of horns made in just one year, I think it's likely that during this period (early '30s) of rapid product development at Conn, there were many running changes made, and also quite a few unique and special-order horns with one-off variations, especially to things like engraving, which was easily modified compared to keywork, body configuration, etc.
I believe the Lady Face was probably a "let's try this new design" thing in the early thirties, on a horn here, another horn there, now and then. And soon every player in every night club wanted it...
I also believe the Stretch was THE official model of Bb soprano from about 220xxx to 235xxx (end of soprano mass production).
I think we've seen a few rare examples of sopranos in this range, or even later S/Ns, that had the earlier short body, which I suspect were special orders or simply old stock built up to keep them out of the scrap pile.
I think sopranos in general were a rapidly diminishing percentage of Conn production during this period, due to soprano falling out of favor as an instrument. Thus the development and tooling costs of the Stretch model were likely a write-off to some extent...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well this is all pretty informative, and Jason, that is the most stunningly beautiful soprano I've ever seen!
I am assuming that is gold plating. Is that a factory finish/engraving, or your work?

Anyway guys, what really has me puzzled is the Conn model numbers. I have a 1928 non-stretch horn (NWII, Bb). I've been referring to it as a Conn 18M. Did that only refer to the stretch model? If so, what was the number assigned to horns like mine? I thought I saw Conn sales literature somewhere that designated my soprano an 18M.
If anyone knows the answer (paulwl?), please chime in.
Thanks.

In the meantime, this short video gives the textbook definition of "fish chorus"...

I seem to recall that in the full version, they are riding in their fish truck and Larry blows his fish horn in Moe's ear... to which Moe replies "Hey! Harry James!" and Larry says "Aw, gee, I ain't that good!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts