Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does everyone store theor Legere reeds? The little sheet that comes with the reed says to store them on a flat service but do not store them in the container they came in or in a reed holder. I just bought a alto Legere and a Fibracel. I like the Legere much better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good question, I was wondering the exact same thing. The documentation also says you shouldn't store them in a reed holder that pinches the tip.

On alto, I recently purchased the new rico reed case:
http://www.ricoreeds.com/productdetails.aspx?productCategoryName=Accessories&productID=7156

The only problem that I've found is that this case seems specifically designed to remove the label from the legere reeds. I've just been removing the labels and marking the strength in sharpie on the bottom of the reed. I wish legere would stamp the reed rather than attaching the label.

On tenor I use my old Protec reed case. This works good, but it does hold the reed at the shoulder rather than the stock.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Roger Aldridge would know.Maybe he will chime in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
On Roger's recommendation I started using the Selmer reed case and it works very well. The small clarinet reed case holds a half dozen and the small tenor case holds five; I rotate them by just sliding off the reed on the left to use and replacing it on the right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Hi Guys! I was out of town for a couple of days. Thanks Saxphil for telling me about the thread!

Yes, as Shotgun mentioned, I've found the Selmer reed case to be excellent for storing the Legere reeds I'm using in playing rotation. The case has a felt cushion in the lid that puts gentle pressure against the reeds so they are kept flat on the glass plate. I've been using Legere reeds exclusively for close to two years and I haven't had a single problem with my reeds in the Selmer case.

My UNPLAYED reeds are simply kept in the Legere container.

PS, when I first got the Selmer reed case I wasn't sure which way I should put my reeds in the case (reed tip or butt end toward the front of the case). I figured out that reed tip toward the front seemed best.

Roger

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Protec

I too have been using Legeres for about two years and keep them in a Protec reed case and have had no problems with them at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
I use the reed cases from Ann Hodge's website. They work great. Two complaints:
1) They're expensive.
2) There isn't a case for baritone reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Hi Jazzbluescat,

Can't answer your question in terms of hours. The reeds I'm playing in rotation have been in my reed case for at least 4 months or more. I'm in the habit of around the beginning of each month to compare all of the reeds in my case, retire any that don't play as well as the others, and bring in new ones. My reeds have held up very well and I haven't needed to start on a new one in quite some time.

Legere reeds need to be played in rotation. After about an hour or so of heavy playing they soften to a degree. This is described on the Legere web site. At a gig I change reeds after each set. I don't think of it as a big deal. After a period of rest a Legere reed returns to its normal strength. I usually have 4 tenor reeds and 3 clarinet & bass clarinet reeds in my reed cases.

Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,391 Posts
Thanks Roger, 'preciate your reply.

I know how long a cane reed lasts me because I practice and play in increments of an hour, is easy to keep track of reed life. One reed usually lasts 19 hours, rarely longer. :) I don't rotate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts