Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter, for purposes of keeping your horn in adjustment, whether you store it horizontally or vertically? I recently had two altos go out of adjustment (leaks in the right hand stack and low C) at almost exactly the same time, within 6 months after a prior adjustment, and (given the coincidence) was wondering whether anything I was doing was contributing to that. I am very careful with my horns, but also had been standing them up (on one end of the case) to store them rather than laying them down. It would seem, as I think about it now, that you might be putting more weight on less surface area of the horn (the bottom end, and maybe the C and Eb tone holes) when you stand the case up than when you lay the case down on its side. Am I on to something, or not? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It strikes me that perhaps one way or the other may be more prone to sticky pads, if you store the sax w/o swabbing, due to where the moisture would sit due to gravity.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would carefully open the case while it is standing vertically and see just which points of the sax are being supported. Ideally, it should be as uniformly supported as possible. I doubt this is your problem especially since it is an alto rather than a larger, heavier sax.

I keep all of my saxes, A,T,B on their stands in a safe area and I certainly doubt that stands provide more uniform support than your case. I like having the saxes out in the air so they dry better and if I see them I play them more!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Most of the majors now provide cases with handles on one end. This suggests to me that they intend them to be stored upright if desired. The only thing that I can think of is that if you put a horn in a case that is not a tight fit (not factory original modern case) and store it with the neck down, I can imagine some problems, particularly if you 'plunk' it down with some energy, which I have certainly seen done by teenagers.

One anecdote...the Protec coffin baritone saxophone cases are huge and are wider at the crook end. It is very tempting to store them upright, but then the horn really is balancing on the crook, as these are not a particularly snug fit for most baris. As many older baris have insufficient bracing, I believe that this has caused some problems...I have seen these stood on their neck in vans going to gigs that bounce around en route...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hornfixer said:
"Does it matter"
No.

Am I on to something, or not?
Not.
Thanks, everyone, and especially Hornfixer for that especially pithy response! ;) This is actually a relief to me, because I really prefer to stand the cases on end as it makes it easier to keep my horns all in one place that way (I live in an apartment where space is a little tight). The horns are in their original cases, so they are pretty snug fits, and I do swab them before putting them away (and occasionally also leave them out on a stand to dry), so I guess I'll just chalk the coincidental regulation problem to bad luck.
Anyhow, I just had one of them regulated by Matt at Sam Ash in NYC and it's playing better than it ever has, so I'm very happy with it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts