Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be visiting the Dallas/Ft Worth/Denton area for a week or so.

Are there any music stores that stock professional saxophone mouthpieces? (Brook Mays is now out of business.)

Wanting to try out a Dukoff or other bright and punchy mouthpiece for bari sax.

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Mouthpieces in Dallas

You might check C&S in the Mid Cities and Fort Worth. Multi location owned by the father of Brook-Mays' owner. There is very little here in Dallas, in fact, none since Brook-Mays went into Chapter 11. Some stores are still open, but the stock is bare bones.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
There is a pretty extensive national/international dealer directory accessible from the main menu of this Forum, you know, which was compiled with input from the membership. I am betting if you check Texas you'll see some stores in your area. A lot of the listings even feature links to store websites. Seeing how these questions keep coming up, perhaps the directory should be more prominently displayed on the SOTW home page or something?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
We do have Holze music moving in and Music and Arts. Holze has only the basics in mouthpieces (some nice horns though). I have not been to Music and Arts.

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
I just looked and there's only 1 dealer listed in the entire state of Texas! Wow, maybe it's time to update the directory! :)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
awholley said:
If you are looking for a wide variety, I think you are out of luck, unless there is such a place in Denton.
I live in Denton, we have a few pawn shops. And two shops that specilize in music. One is Penders which is just Sheet Music, and a few reeds and other asscories on the side. The other is Denton Music Store, which is a small business. Denton Music Store is right across from the main post office here. They do have great prices on reeds, but their is not much of a mouthpiece selection. He could probably order whatever you need though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info.

I stopped in Denton on the way into Dallas and checked Penders, Denton Music, and McBrides pawn shop. Didn't find anything.

I did bring my bari as one of the SOTW members from the DFW area has a Lawton bari piece that I am going to check out.

I heard from another SOTW member that Dukoffs are good on bari. My local store in Phoenix carries Dukoffs for alto, tenor, and sop but not bari and WWBW does not carry bari Dukoffs so I was hoping someone in the DFW/Denton area would have then.

Here's a great story. Back in 1972 I was going to North Texas State and bought a 49,xxx SBA tenor and 46,xxx SBA alto from McBrides for $225 and $175 respectively. Still have them.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts