Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
Not a blues, but Cream of the Crop: Sonny Rollins, on "I Know That You Know":

(And, er, if the above is Saks Fifth Avenue, then this is The Dollar Store -- but it *is* a blues: Kellymoon, also found in my sig below...)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check out Stan Getz playing "Stan's Blues" on the "But Beautiful" record (Stan with Bill Evans).

Entire choruses of stop time with some of the clearest voice leading and most melodic lines I've ever heard. I'm transcribing that solo right now...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hank Mobley playing a nice few choruses of stop time blues in "Dig Dis" from the album Soul Station, transitioning the form from minor to major blues. Great stuff.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,681 Posts
There's a Mingus tune with a great stop time passage (I believe with Booker Ervin taking the solo), but I'll have to search it out. Can't remember exactly which tune it is right now. I'll find it and let you know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hank Mobley playing a nice few choruses of stop time blues in "Dig Dis" from the album Soul Station, transitioning the form from minor to major blues. Great stuff.
I have a transcription of this on my website (below).

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's a Mingus tune with a great stop time passage (I believe with Booker Ervin taking the solo), but I'll have to search it out. Can't remember exactly which tune it is right now. I'll find it and let you know.
Better Git It In Your soul, I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts