Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Mark Vi baritone sax sold by me on Ebay for $7800 dollars+ and shipped by Ebay was sent by UPS to the buyer in Denver CO on 10/05/21. It was supposed to go to the buyer at his home but he intervened with UPS and had it put as "will call" in the UPS warehouse in Commerce City co, (a Denver suburb). It arrived at the UPS warehouse and was logged in at 12:12 am on 10/10/21. When the buyer tried to pick it up UPS couldn't find it. After an investigation by UPS it has been declared "lost.". A good guess is that it was actually stolen from the UPS warehouse. Since the box the sax was in was not labeled as to content some apparent inside knowledge seems to have occurred. I have had numerous contacts with Ebay Customer Support(?) which was actually a continuous circle getting me nowhere. Since Ebay bought the UPS label only Ebay could file the "lost claim". I was considered a 3rd party by UPS and as such had no right to file a claim. Ebay Support denied their responsibility to file the lost claim and therefore it was never filed. So, this high value sax is in somebody's hands and nobody is even looking for it. The sax is in silver plate and I had extensive refurbishment done to it in the 15 years I owned it. Since Ebay has shirked their responsibility in the loss I would doubt that a Police report in Commerce
City was ever filed. Ebay has refunded the purchase price to the Buyer and now wants me to pay for the $7800 dollar loss that they in fact should be pursuing with UPS. Ebay bought the label, knew the value of the sax and should have so insured it.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wasn't it insured with UPS?
"Since Ebay bought the UPS label only Ebay could file the "lost claim". I was considered a 3rd party by UPS and as such had no right to file a claim. Ebay Support denied their responsibility to file the lost claim and therefore it was never filed. "

Madness.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wouldn't UPS have multiple cameras and tight security in a warehouse that holds possibly millions of dollars worth of merchandise? Something's not adding up.
Which makes the whole part about not even being able to file a claim even crazier. It's as if eBay owns the box you put the sax in as soon as you slapped one of their labels on it. I'll take it as a warning to not use eBay labels ever, should I ever go that route.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Which makes the whole part about not even being able to file a claim even crazier. It's as if eBay owns the box you put the sax in as soon as you slapped one of their labels on it. I'll take it as a warning to not use eBay labels ever, should I ever go that route.
Seems like a necessary blanket policy, given the problems we've also heard with using Reverb's mailing service.

Reactions: mishmellow

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ah nuts— it says I have insufficient privileges to view the thread. 🙁 Must be in the buying/selling forum? Anyway if you feel like giving me the short version of what’s going on, I’d be much obliged! Affecting Reverb sellers or buyers or both? I definitely buy more than I sell but I HAVE sold a few things, all without incident. (I generally print my own shipping labels on UPS/FedEx.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would have thought that since it arrived at the destination that the buyer stipulated, it is between the buyer and UPS.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: GaSax

·
Registered
Conn NW II Soprano, NW I Alto, 10M Tenor, NW I C Melody & Allora Bari.
271 Posts
Never sold anything on eBay but have bought a few things there. I just never liked their policies for the sellers. Incidents like this just reinforces my dislikes of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,874 Posts
@crouse1408 sounds to me like you didn’t handle the shipping eBay did. you put a eBay furnished label on as instructed . Then the buyer altered the shipping.
How is that your fault? Hopefully you took the funds out of your account before they seized the money. I wouldn’t pay them back jack spit.
you may find some additional help here.

I would have thought that since it arrived at the destination that the buyer stipulated, it is between the buyer and UPS.
smells like an inside job. Like the buyer knows somebody in the warehouse.
so where is the pile with the missing labels? I always write my return address with a sharpie on the carton.
Never sold anything on eBay but have bought a few things there. I just never liked their policies for the sellers. Incidents like this just reinforces my dislikes of it.
Yep !

·
Registered
492 Posts

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
This is just an equivocation on "destination". Delivery would be considered to happen when the recipient picks up the package at UPS. This is very clear, and arguing otherwise would get you nowhere.

Reactions: Zasterz

·
Registered
394 Posts
@crouse1408 sounds to me like you didn’t handle the shipping eBay did. you put a eBay furnished label on as instructed . Then the buyer altered the shipping.
How is that your fault? Hopefully you took the funds out of your account before they seized the money. I wouldn’t pay them back jack spit.
you may find some additional help here.

smells like an inside job. Like the buyer knows somebody in the warehouse.
so where is the pile with the missing labels? I always write my return address with a sharpie on the carton.

Yep !
There’s nothing shady about a buyer selecting “pickup at location” on a package. It’s an option on all packages from every delivery service and it’s not considered “altering” the location in any way. In theory, selecting to pick up should reduce the likelihood of a lost/stolen package. (See the other current thread about the sax stolen off the member’s doorstep.)

UPS has taken the package and it’s in their hands until they deliver it, which hasn’t happened. This is 100% on UPS and the only question is why a claim hasn’t been filed and how to get one filed.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
This is just an equivocation on "destination". Delivery would be considered to happen when the recipient picks up the package at UPS. This is very clear, and arguing otherwise would get you nowhere.
"Equivocation" my Irish erse ! The seller shipped the item to an agreed destination via UPS. The buyer arranged with UPS to change the reception point. This has nothing to do with the seller. The seller should sue the clowns at eBay-UPS for punitive damages, including legal fees.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Having never encountered a story like this, I went down a bit of a rabbit hole. To my horror, there seem to be quite a few reports of eBay-printed UPS label shipping claims disasters, where the seller has become considered a “third party” and unable to file a claim once eBay is considered the shipper. Here is a somewhat long Reddit about it. The person seemed to get satisfaction only after contacting the BBB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ebay/comments/k5kbot

·
Registered
492 Posts
"Equivocation" my Irish erse ! The seller shipped the item to an agreed destination via UPS. The buyer arranged with UPS to change the reception point. This has nothing to do with the seller. The seller should sue the clowns at eBay-UPS for punitive damages, including legal fees.
The fact that the buyer arranged to change the reception point doesn't change the fact that the package disappeared while in UPS' care. It also does nothing to change the seller's situation, which is that he delegated responsibility for the terms of the shipment to Ebay and now purportedly has no standing as far as UPS is concerned. He probably does have standing for police purposes as the owner of the item and should call the relevant police department on the premise "better late than never".

If it's possible to get Ebay on the phone, it might be worth attempting to coordinate a conference call with them and UPS and see if them talking to each other changes the situation.

As to lawsuits, I fear Ebay's contracts with buyers and sellers protects them pretty well, or we would have seen some delightful class-action suits against them by now.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts