Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

(edit) So I wanted to update this thread, I'm not sure if it's better to just do a new post since this is older now but I was energized with a bit of information from a fellow who let me know that I should create a web page dedicated to the instrument and its recovery, with all the keywords related to the horn, that way if a pawn shop or person looking to research the instrument were to come across it, the possibilities of getting it back would be much higher. Also, I've attached a couple photos of it.

My place was broken into and my horn is gone, I am a professional saxophonist and so this is a tremendous loss as I have had this horn for 20 years. I am located in Seattle Washington.

Anyway, it is a Selmer Alto Mark VI Serial # M 61898
The only mouthpiece in the case was a Gold Dave Guardala. Also in the case was a clip on K&K saxophone microphone.
It was re-lacquered in the 80's and has a bit of tarnish here and there.

$1000 reward if returned to me.

206-351-9080

Thank you!
Brian saxophone.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
What a terrible loss, I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine, it's like losing a best friend I'm sure. I hope you find it. Could you tell us what area you're in?

I will keep my eyes peeled online!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this, hope it surfaces soon. I'd rather them take anything else, that horn's a part of you!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'll be on the look out.
I'm sorry this happened to you!
Do you have any more info or pic of the mouthpiece or Selmer or tell tale marks/dents to help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the late reply, I'm located in Seattle Washington. I'll post photos today. Thanks for the kind words.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
I wonder if the Oakland PD are still looking for my stolen mint SBA alto? Kinda doubt it. Serial number and and my lead on a suspect didn't seem to help much.
Good luck and I hope you have insurance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,331 Posts
whaler: Please tell us how you'd solve your crime. But remember, you also have to solve 100 other crimes each month, write all the required reports, appear in court for days, attend three days of sensitivity and sexual harassment training, and make sure you shoot every month at the range - and follow the U.S. Constitution. DAVE

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
I know it's difficult. That's why he shouldn't get his hopes up. The only way he'll get it back is plain dumb luck.
It's a non-violent crime and doesn't rank high on the priority list. I get it.
If I knew how to solve it more than having the serial number and a good idea of who stole mine, a neighbor, I would have done it.
I'm still upset they didn't even bother to ask him. He had a police record, including burglary, and was a famous scumbag as I discovered later.
You tell me they shouldn't have at least asked him.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bitter-Reunion-for-Father-Burned-Son-2979069.php

·
14,331 Posts
whaler: Is the guy in that linked article the guy you suspect in the theft of your property? I recall that horrible case when it happened. If so, is he still on parole? You may get some action from his parole agent - most parolees must submit to searches at any time at any place. The rules may have changed since I retired, but it would be worth a try.

You are correct about many felony crimes being low-level offenses in the eyes of the hand-wringers. I used to run an office in LAPD dedicated to detective-bureau research. One proposal that raised its ugly head was the classification of crimes so that only the most egregious and those with some follow-up leads were assigned for follow-up. The rest were supposed to have been put into a category where nothing was done with them. I fought against it but was over-ruled. It was the sign of the times.

True, it was impossible for the assigned detective to contact every victim - there just wasn't enough time in a work day. But by relegating a bunch of crimes to non-follow-up status, I thought law enforcement was giving up quite a lot. And they were.

I would advise against confronting a suspect without any evidence, in this day and age. The mere approach could be misconstrued as some sort of harassment - and if the approach is challenged and it turned into a major brawl (which things like that often do), then the wrath of the entire nation and the media and all the political pundits will fall on the officer's head.

At least ASK the suspect? Ineffective and an opportunity for the guy to deny it all.

There isn't much that can be done by the police without a solid lead. A mere suspicion by a victim is almost never enough. The recordation of a serial number of a stolen item is almost always the only way that a stolen item may be identified and returned to the rightful owner. And it IS usually a matter of happenstance - months later an officer may make a traffic stop or enter a home on some radio call, see the saxophone, run the number and VOILA! I've made recoveries in all sorts of non-theft/burglary investigations and/or legitimate police inquiries. But without the serial number? Good luck. DAVE

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
That was my suspect. He moved into my building after I'd been there for years. As I heard later, he was allowed under some extremely liberal parole condition, to live under an assumed name to protect his rights. I didn't know who he was until a short time after my horn was stolen when he shot someone in the head and there were local news stations at the entrance of my building
I had the serial number and photos. Now I have the serial numbers and photos of all my horns on a memore card in my safe deposit box.
I hope the OP has better luck than me, but I doubt he'll ever see that horn again.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I remember that horrible case too, I hope real justice finds him someday and that whaler and soular get there horns back too.

·
14,331 Posts
"Guys, please don't derail the thread."

Let's see . . . thread is about a stolen saxophone with a serial number (in a section devoted to stolen instruments) that wasn't fully explained, and then it evolved into a discussion of the effectiveness of reporting serial numbers and the efficiency of police in investigating such crimes, all of which may be of interest to the OP and other readers, relative to the original post. That's a heck of a derailment - of a thread that won't go anywhere ANYWAY unless the horn is recovered. DAVE

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I was lucky when someone saw my stolen flute on eBay and the called the the police dept I had listed on a stolen instrument forum.
The guy trying to sell it bought it at a pawn shop and listed it with the whole serial number (that doesn't happen often).
I went to LA and picked it up. I gave him some money because of his honesty.
It took years but it came back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts