Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has finally happened. After having hundreds of saxes delivered to me it seems that one has been stolen off my doorstep. Today I looked up the delivery confirmation number of a horn that I thought was taking a little too long and found out that it was supposedly delivered yesterday. Now just talked to the tenants that I rent my upstairs flat to and he said he saw it on my doorstep. Haven't contacted anyone yet, but will do so tomorrow. Any advice? I'm probably screwed. i have a bad feeling tht the seller didn't put insurance on it (since I didn't have to sign), or even if they did that i'm still going to be out because it was officially delivered and stolen after delivery. I know it is a federal offense to steal mail, but that means little if there's no chance of them getting caught. What sucks most is it was most likely some kid that ended up throwing it in the trash when they realized it wasn't something "cool".

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Contact the authorities, provide pics if possible, serial number and any recognizable mark / sign. Visit the local pawn shops and let them know what's been stolen from you - most of them will be glad to help I'm sure. Watch ebay and craigslist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

I don't think shipping insurance covers this. However, there is chance your home-owner's or renter's insurance will cover it since you can prove it was delivered. If you have insurance like this, call your agent. You might be happily surprised.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep,

I don't think shipping insurance covers this. However, there is chance your home-owner's or renter's insurance will cover it since you can prove it was delivered. If you have insurance like this, call your agent. You might be happily surprised.
Thanks. This idea had briefly crossed my mind, but I dismissed it quickly because I didn't think there was much of a chance of it being covered. I will definitely persue it as a possibility though.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously I have to wonder what is the point of DC and insurance sometimes. The postal service is the only entity i know that makes you pay extra to ensure that they don't screw up the job you're paying them to do. Then when it comes right down to it they have a hundred ays to get out of doing so. It makes me mad because over the last five years of buying and selling horns I've spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on insurance and never filed a claim and now that something actually goes wrong I'm going to get screwed on it.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contact the authorities, provide pics if possible, serial number and any recognizable mark / sign. Visit the local pawn shops and let them know what's been stolen from you - most of them will be glad to help I'm sure. Watch ebay and craigslist.
Thanks, will be doing all of that. Unfortunately I think it is just a matter of someone happening to walk by and see it and think there was something better (for them) inside. I kinda doubt they were looking for something to sell...but you never know.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Thanks, will be doing all of that. Unfortunately I think it is just a matter of someone happening to walk by and see it and think there was something better (for them) inside. I kinda doubt they were looking for something to sell...but you never know.
Might as well get a few bucks from it now that it's stolen...

I hope this will have a happy ending.

I never thought of usps' insurance service as you describe but you're right, it doesn't make much sense. Whenever I send something of value I try as much as I can to require signature from the addressee to avoid this kind of problems.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I know for a fact my horns are covered by my homeowner's insurance. Since you can prove it was delivered I would think it would be covered but I'm sure each company has its own rules about these things. I wish you the best of luck. Some guys have had horns stolen and gotten them back, so it can happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,904 Posts
I don't understand who would send a horn through post that didn't require a signature, or the courier would just leave it on the doorstep.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,833 Posts
I don't understand who would send a horn through post that didn't require a signature, or the courier would just leave it on the doorstep.
Actually this can easily happen. Few months ago I've sold a P.Mauriat alto to a member of this forum ( and your forum Pete, a transaction for which I made a donation for your charity fund) .

The saxophone , which was worth quite a bit of money, was sent insured and needing a signature for delivery but was left by the back door (fortunately the recipient doesn't live in a busy and dangerous city but in a quiet and safe British village) from the courier ( these days you have no way to know which company would actually deliver a parcel because they use a range of local sub contractors). I have sent my parcel via the Dutch TNT post. It could have easily happened that someone had seen the package and would have taken it.

·
38,833 Posts
Well, it has finally happened. After having hundreds of saxes delivered to me it seems that one has been stolen off my doorstep. Today I looked up the delivery confirmation number of a horn that I thought was taking a little too long and found out that it was supposedly delivered yesterday. Now just talked to the tenants that I rent my upstairs flat to and he said he saw it on my doorstep. Haven't contacted anyone yet, but will do so tomorrow. Any advice? I'm probably screwed. i have a bad feeling tht the seller didn't put insurance on it (since I didn't have to sign), or even if they did that i'm still going to be out because it was officially delivered and stolen after delivery. I know it is a federal offense to steal mail, but that means little if there's no chance of them getting caught. What sucks most is it was most likely some kid that ended up throwing it in the trash when they realized it wasn't something "cool".
well, you might have to report it but in fact, it should be the sender who needs to report it stolen since the delivery wasn't notified to you and therefore you haven't received it officially and so you've never had possession of the goods which, while still in transit ( they were never delivered to you officially) are still the property of the person who shipped it. If you paid by paypal or credit card you are protected under the terms of these transactions, it will be the sender who has to file a complaint with the insurance.

·
28,904 Posts
it will be the sender who has to file a complaint with the insurance.
Yes, but it appears the seller didn't insure it. very silly. The seller should send another horn or refund the money.

EDIT:

In some cases if I sell something I might offer the buyer the option to pay for insured shipping or to pay less for uninsured, in which case I would want it in writing from them that it is at their own risk.

·
38,833 Posts
If the seller didn't insure and there is no written agreement where the buyer specifically instructs the seller not to insure the sending , it is his responsibility that the items were not insured. The buyer has not received the goods and is entitled to a refund or substitution (if possible)

·
Registered
255 Posts
If the seller didn't insure and there is no written agreement where the buyer specifically instructs the seller not to insure the sending , it is his responsibility that the items were not insured. The buyer has not received the goods and is entitled to a refund or substitution (if possible)
Really? But anybody could just say "I didn't get the horn." And get their money back while actually having the horn.

·
38,833 Posts
yes, and that's why I would have it in writing that you wanted a horn to be sent without insurance .........
Even when I sell locally, unless specifically requested to do so, I send things registered. Should anything go wrong otherwise....... I am not responsible because you asked me not to send registered and insured. It is for the sender to prove that he has sent the goods but if there is no prove of reception the recipient hasn't even a title to make a claim because he has never has possession of the goods. The owner of the goods in transit is the shipper.

·
28,904 Posts
..... the goods which, while still in transit ( they were never delivered to you officially) are still the property of the person who shipped it.
I think the law is not so clear cut on who is the owner of goods in transit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

"FOB shipping point" or "FOB origin" indicates the buyer pays shipping cost, and takes responsibility for the goods when the goods leave the seller's premises. "FOB destination" designates the seller will pay shipping costs, and remain responsible for the goods until the buyer takes possession.[5]

·
38,833 Posts
of course the law would vary from place to place but as far as post (and possibly courier ) is concerned (F.O.B, C.I.F, concern mostly companies for air or sea freight ) in most countries in the world anything happens before the recipient has taken possession of the goods the only one who's qualified to claim is the sender, this, in my view, means that he is the proprietor.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
At least it wasn't your personal horn, but it still sucks. You'll never see it. File a claim and maybe you will get lucky and a cop will trip over it on the way into the donut shop.

·
Registered
239 Posts
when I ship I always insure and require a signature regardless of what the buyer wants - this way he gets it and signs for it!!

As you never received the sax, you will probably have to file a dispute with ebay, and claim from the seller. You may get lucky with your insurance, but they may say the same thing.

Notice to all buyers - insist on insurance.

Notice to all sellers (for all big item sales) insure, and insist on signature.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts