Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine (musician and sound guy) just had a bunch of gear stolen. Here is his posting from facebook:

Well, my underground, 8 key code in/out, multi video camera protected, storage space at Public Storage Walnut Creek was broken into in the last few days. It turns out they have "store at your own risk" policy. I am looking into their liability, but so far I'm screwed. They are looking at the tapes over the past several days. Facts: only picked my underground well occupied area space, went around the door like tin foil, knew exactly what to take and what to leave, did so with mediocre video cameras running, took an enormous amount of heavy gear (maybe two van loads). The police found some prints, but they didn't look hopeful. If you could please keep the lookout for my stuff, I would be very grateful. I use this stuff at my favorite camps to bring people together.
2 Meyer Sound UPL Powered PA Speakers, 2 Meyer Sound UPA-1C Unpowered PA Speakers, 8 Space SKB Rack Case with Removable Covers, 2 Meyer Sound M1A Sound Contoller/ Crossover (for UPA-1C), Stewart Sound PA1200 Power Amp, Stewart Sound PA1000 Power Amp Allen and Heath GL2200 32-4 32 Channel Mixer,
Allen and Heath 16 Channel Mix Pack in tilting SKB case Electro Voiice PSX 1000 10 Channel Powered Mixer with Metal Cover that says “EV” in Big White Letters in Gray Nylon Case When Opened there is a distinctive big dent in the lower left-hand side when a large tree limb fell on it at Jazz Camp Roland Jazz Chorus JC120 Guitar Amp Roland Jazz Chorus JC55 Guitar Amp Roland Cube 60 Keyboard Amp Peavey KB 60 Keyboard Amp Fender “Studio 212” Guitar Amp Gallien Krueger 800RB Bass Amp Head SWR Goliath Jr. 2 x 10” Speaker Bass Cabinet Vintage 1974 Fender Rhoads 76 key Electric Piano Mark I Kurtweill PC 88, 2 QSC PLX 1601, 4 Channel Power Amp Roland RD 500 Digital Piano in Case Brand New Shelter Logic 12’ x 12’ Commercial Grade Canopy in Bag, Older 10’ x 10’ Pop Up Canopy, Mackie 1202 Mixer. Bad day yesterday, thanks for everybody's kindness.

You can contact me (or probably Walnut Creek police) with any info.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,029 Posts
Wow, some quality gear there! Hopefully your friend has considered everyone who knows his gear! Sadly, sounds like someone had knowledge of the the gear and where it was.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
The problem with Storage facilities. People think (and they give the impression of) Security...but really they are just rented cubes off-site and the likelihood is there are enough disclaimers in the rental agreement that the facility can evade any and all liability.

Looks like they knew which one to go after.
Meaning it's likely either someone who also has a space there eyed what your friend loaded and unloaded over time....or someone who works there had some involvement....

You fellas are sharp; I don't have to state the obvious steps to take re: contacting pawn shops, buy/trade used gear stores, keeping an eye on a Clist's within around 100 miles of East Bay, etc.

Fooook....that stinks....

·
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips - I'll pass them along. The guy whose stuff it is (Michael Golds) has been a well-known mainstay of the Bay Area jazz community for years. Plays vibes, teaches at Jazz Camp West, does sound for the Jazz School, has mentored young musicians, etc. So word is out pretty broadly from his facebook post, but more eyes/ears can only help.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,447 Posts
Some kind of inside job - either the storage company people or somebody associated with Golds now or in the past - like a roadie that went there several times to get stuff for a gig. Obviously you start with those who have ever had access to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts