Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Super Session J, a Barone rubber 6*, and the stock Yani.
I keep coming back to the stock yani. For me it has a darker, warmer, more focused tone. I can play up to the palm keys with little effort.

I've played the SS exclusively for about a year, it is a very dynamic piece.

The Barone sounds like a mix of the two but it leans toward the SS sound.

FWIW I am by no stretch a good player, and your mileage WILL vary, but I just wanted to share what to me are some surprising results. Another week or so and I might have some mouthpieces to sell! Mayho

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,289 Posts
I sell these often (from new horn take-offs) and they are well made and have a good center to the sound. An all around good player.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Not a big suprise and nothing to apologize about; the Yani HR is an excellent mouthpiece. So is the Super Session; I think the SS J may be a bit too open for you, causing difficulties at the top end. Before I bought my SS H, a Yani HR 5 (older model more open than today's 5) was my general purpose soprano mpc. The only downside to the Yani HR is its price!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
If you are looking around, don't overlook the Yani metal pieces...also well-executed

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to try a Yani metal, but I am worried about the relative brightness of metal pieces. Mayho

·
Registered
137 Posts
mayho said:
I want to try a Yani metal, but I am worried about the relative brightness of metal pieces. Mayho
Keep in mind that they have a square chamber, but larger than say, an S80. I've kinda wanted to try one too, though.

·
480 Posts
Keep in mind that they have a square chamber
Mine is about 15 years old- but it has a round chamber- and is not really a mouthpiece that I would characterise as bright. I can also play the HR pieces but prefer the silver-plated, sound-wise.

·
4,544 Posts
All the Yani pieces seem to be nicely balanced between projection and darkness...I have both a round and square chamber soprano piece...the round one is gold-plated and a little mellower, but the square chamber has a very modern sound without harshness.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I used to play an HR #7, and I really liked the sound, and the control I had on that piece. The problem was that I could not seem to get the volume I wanted out of it, as I am used to playing large tipped opening mpcs like a supersession J or a JJ HR* #7.
I have a metal #9 that is pretty good, and I will like to try out the Yani HR #9. I just haven't had the time to do that.

·
1,423 Posts
More stock yanis..not only soprano

The stock yani HR 5 that came with my B901 plays better than most other bari mouthpieces I've tried, at least for legit work. Also the metal bari and tenor pieces have played well for me too. I was disappointed with the HR Tenor that I picked up off of Ebay.

·
1,404 Posts
Yani metal 9 FS

If anyone wants it, I've got a metal Yani size 9 square chamber I would part with for $75 shipped. It's a little worn looking, but plays well. It's actually a darker piece than my Super Session J and has a nice balanced contemporary sound. PM me.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
How's it going? Any idea of the tip opening of the Yani 9 metal? According to Ed Z they don't run as open as the web site says.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts