Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I decided to buy my alto a few years ago, I had to run to a local music store to pick up a mouthpiece to test play it. I bought a new stock Meyer 7M. Nothing special - cheap and even some sloppy detail work if you look close. It was intended to just be temporary - the plan was to hunt for a great mouthpiece down the road.

Well, I've tried a lot of things. Navarro, Jody Jazz, D'Addario, Theo Wanne, Otto Link, Selmer Soloist, MC Gregory, Brilhart...many that I could just test in a local music store, others I bought online (even from SOTW members). I still want to continue the search, because it's fun and I Ike to hear the difference.

However, I always go back to this cheap Meyer 7M. This mouthpiece is so good!

I tried out a Jody Jazz DV today and liked the volume and that brightness. I even ended up buying a really killer Selmer Soloist E long shank because it sounded great in the store.

Well, I got home and played the Soloist, then put the Meyer back on. This humble little Meyer is slaying everything!!

I have no idea what's going on. I've been certain there's something better and love the challenge of improving my gear to help me realize my sound. But, it's this stupid little $90 Meyer. I love this thing.

It's got some slop in the detail work as I mentioned (it doesn't follow the curvature of a reed tip on one side of the mouthpiece, so it's not symmetric). I've thought of sending it to a mouthpiece guru to have it kind of cleaned up, but I'm afraid they'd do something that ruins the sound.

Does anyone else have an underdog piece like this stock Meyer that you can't seem to shake? Against the odds? Against some real heavy weights?

If you were a betting man/woman, what would you say I should try next against my little undefeated lightweight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
maybe you’re getting the best sound from your Meyer because that’s the mouthpiece you’re most familiar with? As an experiment you could stick with another mouthpiece you like for a long period, and see how it compares then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have thought about that. I need more time on the Soloist to see what happens. I have spent weeks or months on other mouthpieces only to go back to the Meyer. I have to assume others have done the same but found better mouthpieces and permanently switched.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You might try a 10Mfan Daddy-O. I'd describe it as distilled essence of Meyer tone with the added sonority of a Berg, yet easier to blow than both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
Actually over the past several years I have purchased two Meyer 'pieces, 6's...one for Baritone and one for Tenor, and have acquired a couple of Alto ones as well. Like you, not talking vintage ones....just regularly available contemporary ones.

My impressions have been the same as yours. I just really like 'em, they feel great, they respond well, and they sound great.

I've been certain there's something better and love the challenge of improving my gear to help me realize my sound.....
Maybe the Meyer is your sound....

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
Maybe he should just player the Meyer because it’s right for him. Sometimes the right piece doesn’t have to be the expensive one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My impressions have been the same as yours. I just really like 'em, they feel great, they respond well, and they sound great.

I've been certain there's something better and love the challenge of improving my gear to help me realize my sound.....
Maybe the Meyer is your sound....

I'm thinking so too. I'm even contemplating throwing down on an old Meyer Bros sometime to see if I like the old Meyer sound. Actually I'd rather find one I can trial play before buying, but not sure where that would be.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Been playing a NY Meyer 8 since the 60’s....a few months ago I picked up a modern Meyer 8, the plan was to get it worked on to match my NY Meyer...then I played it, it sounded great....doesn’t need any work....I don’t know if I got lucky or I’m just used to playing Meyers...it was money well spent...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might try a 10Mfan Daddy-O. I'd describe it as distilled essence of Meyer tone with the added sonority of a Berg, yet easier to blow than both.
I may just do that. I love the Robusto and the Classic on my Tenor.

·
Registered
642 Posts
...at the end it's just physics. Since I've accepted that for myself I don't look at brands or manufacturer's names anymore, just at the mouthpiece itself and it's shape.
My main piece on alto is a Yamaha 6c that I refaced for myself and made it a good fit to my horn and the reeds I like. I bought it used, it didn't cost more than 35 € and it outplays all other alto mouthpieces I've owned.
Yes, it's nice when physics fit your needs at a low price.

Jo

·
Banned
566 Posts
meyer mpcs can be excellent straight out of the box.others not so.
i wouldn't call it a stupid little meyer because it only cost you $90.
play it and live happily ever after and sell all those other mpcs.
good luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
Funny I have the same kind of thing going on...
I recently bought a new sax (TJ Raw Custom) and for the sake of being exhaustive while trying the sax I brought my old Selmer S80 too (along with 3 others).
While it has its own limitations (not much volume, C* feels really closed, ...), soundwise it is a delight !

And I tried at least 15 different kind of reeds... (which you could probably try too)

I still have the few aforementioned limitations to overcome, but in your case... if it is not broken, don't try and fix it ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Me too, I've been playing a stock Meyer 8M for the past several years. It works great for me, I don't try a lot of other stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it aint broke dont fix it.
Well, define broke. Most of us don't have gear that is truly broken (doesn't function). It's so much fun to try different gear!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
When I decided to buy my alto a few years ago, I had to run to a local music store to pick up a mouthpiece to test play it. I bought a new stock Meyer 7M. Nothing special - cheap and even some sloppy detail work if you look close. It was intended to just be temporary - the plan was to hunt for a great mouthpiece down the road.

Well, I've tried a lot of things. Navarro, Jody Jazz, D'Addario, Theo Wanne, Otto Link, Selmer Soloist, MC Gregory, Brilhart...many that I could just test in a local music store, others I bought online (even from SOTW members). I still want to continue the search, because it's fun and I Ike to hear the difference.

However, I always go back to this cheap Meyer 7M. This mouthpiece is so good!

I tried out a Jody Jazz DV today and liked the volume and that brightness. I even ended up buying a really killer Selmer Soloist E long shank because it sounded great in the store.

Well, I got home and played the Soloist, then put the Meyer back on. This humble little Meyer is slaying everything!!

I have no idea what's going on. I've been certain there's something better and love the challenge of improving my gear to help me realize my sound. But, it's this stupid little $90 Meyer. I love this thing.

It's got some slop in the detail work as I mentioned (it doesn't follow the curvature of a reed tip on one side of the mouthpiece, so it's not symmetric). I've thought of sending it to a mouthpiece guru to have it kind of cleaned up, but I'm afraid they'd do something that ruins the sound.

Does anyone else have an underdog piece like this stock Meyer that you can't seem to shake? Against the odds? Against some real heavy weights?

If you were a betting man/woman, what would you say I should try next against my little undefeated lightweight?

Thanks!
I wouldn't call a Meyer cheap, underrated or lightweight. Some of the greatest alto players in history and today play Meyers. It's a classic design just like Otto Links for tenor. There are still good ones in the modern production line. When I lived near a music store I used to pick out all of my students Meyers by going there. play testing and picking what I thought was the best. There would usually be one that would stick out of the 6-7. If it works and is killer you don't need to be looking for something else that is a 1000 dollars or whatever. Play the Meyer and learn to get the most out of it!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
My favorite alto pieces are all Meyers off-the-shelf 5M and 7M from the '90s and a Phil-tone 6M. It's pretty close to the optimal design for an alto piece to play in many styles. You may want something darker for classical work or brighter and more cutting for smooth jazz, funk, rock, etc., but otherwise a good Meyer can cover most everything else in between.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My default mouthpiece is a Meyer 7M from the '90s. Flipped a bunch of NY USAs because they didn't sound any better.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I'm going to pile on as well.

Alto: Meyer 7, bought sometime around 1990. (I also use for small group quiet work a Selmer C* Soloist that came with my first sax in 1978).
Tenor, Meyer 8, came with my first tenor in 1978. Still my main MP except for loud rock and roll stuff where I use the Dukoff D7 I bought back in '81.
Baritone: Meyer 8, since about 2008.

The only one that I've ever done anything to was the bari piece where I put a little wedge to give it a bit more bite.

Don't underrate the stock Selmer pieces. I am not a fan of the square chamber S-80/S-90 ones, but my alto and tenor Soloist C* MPs are excellent, and I have a new bass MP from Selmer that outplays the (very good) Jody Jazz bass piece as well, for about 40% the cost.

So my main mouthpieces on my main horns:

Alto - 40 years, same piece and 28 years, same piece
Tenor - 40 years, same piece and 37 years, same piece.
Baritone - 10 years, same piece.

Still not settled on soprano.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the answer might lie with your SBA alto. The older saxes don't seem to like modern mouthpieces very much. They like older, or older-style pieces. The Meyer is an older style. I have two vintage Conn Tenors that are fussy about modern pieces and simply will not play in tune, top to bottom, with them. I actually sold a beautiful 10M w/rolled holes a few years ago because tuning was so bad. This was before I picked up a vintage piece. My Conns love the Meyer, though.

They also like vintage Berg HR's. If you can find one for your alto, maybe with a 2 or 3 baffle, it just might push the Meyer aside.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts