Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have too much interest in metal Links, but apparently Ebay thinks that I do. I sometimes get little notices showing me metal Links up for auction. This one caught my attention because the first picture reminded me of an old Rovner that I bought a few years ago. The Rovner was one of the few mouthpieces that I actually threw out because the thought of selling it to another player seemed immoral even here at Flemtone Products.

As little as I know about STMs, I know less about Wolf Tayne as a refacer. Still, this piece seems more like the product of blackwoodjoe. Opinions?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-50s-6...m=163480747768&_trksid=p2059210.c100148.m2813

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
There is no way in god's green earth that this is an original WT Otto Link. Someone has butchered the crap out of it and is clearly trying to sell it to someone who does not know any better.

This is why I hate ebay.

The ad should be pulled for misrepresenting an item.

*EDIT* I see at the very very end of the listing they mention the alterations.

Yet they are still charging premium price for it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
What the ^&* did they do to that mpc!? One thing for sure, it's no longer an original Otto Link. I wouldn't spend 10 cents for that thing. Who knows, maybe it still plays well, but having been butchered it's not worth anywhere near what they are asking for it and not worth taking a chance on at any price.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wolfe Tayne is not a re-facer. The WT facing was a stock option for a special facing he was making for a period when he worked for Otto Link. You can see this facing offered in this list (last # option under tenor).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Looks not unlike a Jody Jazz type of table.
Time to put this one to rest though I think.
When you Butcher a piece of steak too much it becomes minced meat.
But at least it remains edible.
This piece is past the minced meat stage.
Perhaps you could throw it in a meat pie and get away with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Wolfe Tayne is not a re-facer. The WT facing was a stock option for a special facing he was making for a period when he worked for Otto Link. You can see this facing offered in this list (last # option under tenor).
Wolfe actually did do refacing work when he was alive .

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wolfe actually did do refacing work when he was alive .
I’m sure he was. I’m speaking in the context of this piece that is stamped W.T., a catalog offering of that period, not an after the market reface.

·
23,008 Posts
I’m sure he was. I’m speaking in the context of this piece that is stamped W.T., a catalog offering of that period, not an after the market reface.
So that's the way it was made originally?! In that case, I was wrong to comment. I know nothing about it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
No, this piece was clearly badly butchered as many others commented on. Barely worth its brass weight at this point.

I was just correcting the OP's (and eBay's listing) statement about Tayne's "refacing". The W.T. facing was not an after market refacing, instead it was just a variant of the standard Link facing as shown in their catalog I linked to. It was close to a #6 tip opening I believe, with whatever Wolfe's particular facing was. But again, with what it was done to this piece afterwards, all that is mute at this point.

·
23,008 Posts
Oh, OK, thanks for the info Guto. Guess I wasn't so far off the mark after all. Still, probably better for me not to chime in when I don't really know what I'm talking about; someday I'll learn that...:)

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
Wolfie was a re-facer but not a very good one. He butchered a short shank Dukoff that I had him re-place the bite plate . He took a corner off the tip with whatever tool he used and destroyed it. It still think he did it on purpose.
His work wasn’t good but at least it wasn’t on the level.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Wolfie was a re-facer but not a very good one. He butchered a short shank Dukoff that I had him re-place the bite plate . He took a corner off the tip with whatever tool he used and destroyed it. It still think he did it on purpose.
His work wasn’t good but at least it wasn’t on the level.
Again, I’m talking in the context of this Otto Link being stamped W.T. ‘Nuff said.

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
"I am an artist, not a musician..."
Most people here, or anyone serious enough to pay $275 for a mouthpiece, would take exception to that statement.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Oh sorry about that! Didn't realize that there was already another thread discussing this piece.
And thanks to the OP, I was trying to remember what table that reminded me of and it is in fact the Rovner Deep V as well as the Jodyjazz metal pieces. I wonder if someone wanted to try to replicate those table cutout designs... I just wish they didn't do it on a nice old double ring!

·
Administrator
17,268 Posts
I just wish they didn't do it on a nice old double ring!
I agree with that!

Still the piece looks like it's played a lot, so that points to that it most probably doesn't play/sound bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts