Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently bought on ebay a Buescher TT C melody serial 130XXX. I was aware that it would need an overhaul and a full repad. Since I don't really have the money for it right now, I figured I could just leave it on a stand, since I kind of find it beautiful.

I received it this morning and was a bit disappointed, not by the horn, which I find beautiful, but by its smell. It has a very unpleasant smell to it, and I just can't leave it around the house. I would like to know your suggestions as to what I should do to make the smell go away. Oddly enough, it feels normal to me that an 80+ year old sax smells that way...

Thank you for your help,

Pierre-William

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Yes, they are pretty.
I have known stinky cases but not stinky horns.
If convenient. it may be a good idea to leave it, on it's stand, in the fresh air for a few days.....if you live on a country estate this would work; perhaps not so practicable if you live in a city flat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I too originally thought it was the case that stank, but it really feels like this is a stinky horn case. My hands still smell after washing them about five times. Anyway, I have left it outside it its case, open lid. It is kind of windy today, so I hope it works, but It doesn't feel like the smell is going to give up that easily.

Pierre-William

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts
well, in general a stinky horn would have a stinky case too............ I've known stinky horns and , in general, there would be very little that can help if not a thorough overhaul which would include a good cleaning .
The problem is that the pads are retaining if not generating most of the smell. If any mould has been growing in the horn it would have most certainly attacked the leather and felt of the pads and made its home in there.

Airing will help and swabbing the horn with a wet swab (to clean it inside not to dry t you will do this afterwards) will help too but in the end most of the mouldy smell will come from the pads and as long as they are kept in there the offending odour would be there too.

After wet swabbing and dry swabbing, proceed with airing for a few days, then drop a couple of drops of lemon oil in the horn and case (better if you use one of these cedarwood blocks that one uses to put a nice smell in a cupboard )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,959 Posts
Vacuum the snot out of the case and give it a soak (heavy spray down) in Febreze, then leave it in the sun for a few days to dry out, then vacuum it again. Hanging the sax outside in the sun will also help it out, but it will take time. Best bet is to fill it with potpourri and leave it on the wall for a few months to let the aroma weaken a bit and hopefully the stinky crap you put in it will be enough to mask its smellyness. I did this with a couple dried out long stem roses out the bell and it seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milandro,

I have swabbed the inside of the horn multiple times, I think it really just needs a good clean. You are probably right about the pads too. I guess it'll have to rest in its case for a little more until I decide to invest in an overhaul. Thank you for your advice, I'll try the lemon oil in a few days as you suggest.

Pierre-William

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carl,

I really don't know which stinky crap I prefer, the horn's, or the one you suggest. Seriously, I consider doing this, thank you for your advice, I think I'll try about everything you guys suggest, and hopefully I'll end up with a horn that doesn't smell too much. If I don't succeed, it doesn't matter very much, since I'm planning on getting it overhauled.

Pierre-William

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,440 Posts
well, really an overhaul which will include a clean up of the horn (not just a repad) will be the only way to get rid of any odour

·
Registered
197 Posts
swab out the sax with disinfectant wipes, but saran wrap the pads first. to get through the horn i use a cleaning rod (~5$ at a music store) and thread the corner of the wipe, then scrub gently til the wipes are no longer brown/green. then air it out for days. it got rid of most of the smell from my old horns, but pads, felts, corks can retain smell too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts