Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the last time I ask but I'm still hoping someone will lead me to music which features the "Twin Alto Sound" of Billy Vaughn's arrangements such as "Sail On Silver Moon". His arrangements in that period featured the altos playing in thirds, I believe. Someone must have access to something like that. I'd be happy to pay for this item.
Thank you in advance for your help

·
Registered
494 Posts
Are you able to use this (it is just a score written for various combinations of altos and tenors, you can have the parts if they are of any use to you)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help. I think it will work well for us. Is there any cost for this?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. I think it will work well for us. Is there any cost for this?
No, feel free to use them as you wish. Observe that some of the voices are the same, (e.g 3rd alto and one of the tenors etc., it depends on what saxes you have available). Do you want the separate parts?

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
No, feel free to use them as you wish. Observe that some of the voices are the same, (e.g 3rd alto and one of the tenors etc., it depends on what saxes you have available). Do you want the separate parts?
SveinJo,
What is your recommendation for quartet? Looks like Alto1, alto2, tenor1 and bari.
Could you post the parts making the best fit for an AATB.
thanks in advance,

·
Registered
494 Posts
OK. Here are the parts plus some hints as to which combinations to use. The canonical version is 1. alto, 2. alto, 3. tenor and bari - but there are several other options.

I also have other arrangements for sax quartet, quintet etc. Since the arrangements are mostly my own and the tunes are more than 50 years old, I cannot see any reason why they should not be published.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,820 Posts
I'll bet you've received a lot of comments about the commerciality of the early Billy Vaughn charts, but I remember them from when I was a kid and something captured my mind about how "right" the the charts sounded. I remember playing one of my first gigs in the sixties, and the guy in charge took me aside and said, "Lotsa alto - sound like Billy Vaughn."

We did it, and we got paid, and I've never been out of work since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello
I have just joined Sax On the Web. I have been a fan of the music and sound of Billy Vaughn since I first heard him on the radio December 1959.
I am also a saxophonist and Big Band leader. I once had a chance to meet Mr. Vaughn in early 1960s but lost my never which I regret to this very day.
You may of may not know that Mr. Vaughn passed away on September 26 1991. As a band learder and saxophonist I would give anything to have some
of his arrangements. Unfortunately I do not have the God given talent that he had as an arranger. I would also give anything to know what mouthpiece
and reed configuration he used to get such a beautiful sound. Thanks to the computer I have made contact with Mr. Vaughns son. None of Billys arrangements
have been made available. I have always thought that he was not as much appreciated in this country as he was in Germany or Japan. His work was basic
and down to earth. Not wild and crazy. I have always felt the beauty of his arrangements was in it's simplicity. I could go on but I hope that you will reply
to this so that we can chat. You can check out my bands website at alexrenebigband.com Respectfully Yours, Alex Rene'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts