Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come along over the years but still find myself biting too much when playing the alto in big band high and loud. I think I have bad instincts and want to work with the embouchure muscles when most of the work really should be on the air support. Intonation then becomes more of a struggle than it should be and the tone is not as full as I wish. Any suggestions on how to overcome this most effectively? I have studied with a Joe Allard student which has helped but there is more progress to be made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,018 Posts
Everything I do is a bad habit but it sounds good. Do what you have to do to play like you want. BTW, bad habits by earlier players became 'innovations' and today's norm, so don't be too hard on yourself. If you do what everybody else does, will you all sound alike? You must have a strong embouchure to contain the 'air support' so I'm not really getting that. I don't guess its possible now to do what so many of us did in the past - we played gigs all the time and got tough. You sit around the house and practice all you want but you're not going to get anywhere until you get out there and play half the day and all of the night in a real deal. You'll get better fast. In other words, if you have anything, that will bring it out.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,620 Posts
I sort of agree with all of that.

Several officially bad habits.

But i get a lot of compliments on how I sound.

Do what works for you. And play out when you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts